Debut Concert dazzles and delights

by Anthony Robinson

The 2010 Debut Choral Concert was held Monday, Oct. 18, showcasing the autumn work of vocal music students.

Three choirs, two show choirs, and the All-State Singers at AHS performed during the 2010 Debut Concert.

To lead off the night, the choir members who will be trying out for All-State (Saturday Oct. 23) performed “Credo” by W. A. Mozart.

Next all AHS vocal music students joined together performed the piece “How Can I Keep from Singing” by T. Davis.  Guest musicians, Pat McCauly (violin), and middle school band director Leah O’Donnell (saxophone) joined the choir for the performance.

Following the joint choirs, the Treble Singers performed three songs.  The Treble Singers consist of female singers ranging from freshmen to juniors.  They performed “The Paintbox” by Z. Randall Stroope, “Duet for Two Cats,” by G. Rossini, arranged by A. Davis, and “Can You Hear Me,” by B. Chilcott.

The Concert Choir, one of two mixed choirs at AHS, with singers ranging from freshmen to seniors, performed three songs: “Three Madrigals,” by E. Diemer, “Things That Never Die,” by L. Dengler, and “Tres Cantos Nativos Dos Indios Krao,” by M. Leite.

The last choir to perform before intermission was the Chamber Chorale.  The Chamber Chorale is another mixed choir  consisting of sophomores to seniors.  They performed four songs: “Ritmo,” by D. Davidson; “You Are the Music,” by D. Forrest; “Where Your Bare Foot Walks,” by D.Childs: and “Walk Together, Children,” by M. Hogan.  The second song in the Chamber Chorale set, “You Are the Music,” included guest vocalist Elizabeth Huggins, an English teacher at AHS.

After a short intermission, Diversity, the junior varsity show choir, performed two medleys: “Shadows of the Night/Get On Your Feet,” by Pat Benatar/Gloria Estefan, and “Don’t Stop Believin’/Anyway You Want It” by Journey with freshmen soloists Payton Ryan, Sierra Smith, Hannah Jespersen, and Preston Hoye.

Premier, the varsity show choir, was the final performance for the night.  Their set included  “Proud,” by Heather Small with soloist Sarah Masker;  “Second Chance,” by Shinedown; and “Light,” from the musical “Next to Normal” with soloists senior Melanie Ehlert, and junior Nora Walker.

Sophomore Jake Auerbach, a bass in Chamber Chorale and Premier show choir, said,”It was really fun, and it was nice to show off what we’ve been working on in class.”

View Comments (1)