Choice Printing

Rebecca Black’s “Friday” falls flat OPINION-Alyssa Askeland

OPINION – by Alyssa Askeland
Is Rebecca Black the new Justin Bieber? She has a popular video, and a whiney voice just like the Bieb.  This “song” has taken the world by storm with its whopping 73,678,738 views, and I’m sure it won’t stop there. This video has gone viral for its horrible lyrics, singer and video.  With over 4,000 parodies, it’s hard not to laugh at this poor girl’s so called talent. If you look at the official music video on trizzy66’s youtube you’ll find the like bar 90% red! The dislikes greatly out number the 176+ thousand likes.

On Friday, April 1, Ms. Hayden’s 2nd hour class convinced the school to play this “song” over the intercom when school was dismissed. Seriously, I think my brain melted with the enhanced horror of the intercom.

As I looked farther into this girl’s life as to why anybody would want to let her open her mouth, let alone sign her, I found over 6 million search options on Google. According to mashup.com, Rebecca Black has been crowned a genius by the international music sensation Lady Gaga.

Rebecca Black is now considered a “thousandaire” but isn’t planning on keeping all the money.  She will be donating the money to Japan and to her school. But I wouldn’t go buy her song on iTunes even if she is being a good person. As I watched her sing her “anthem” on the Tonight Show with Jay Lenno, I gotta tell you, she is just as horrible in real life. As a singer, my ears burn with her terrible vowels and the nasal tone escaping the clutches of her jaw. Why on earth would she put herself through this terrible experience?

As much as I hate this song, I can’t get it out of my head. It just keeps on playing over and over.  That whiney “Friday” just rings in my ears, I think I’d rather be deaf than have to hear it once more. And seriously, what’s up with the random African American rapper cruising the streets singing about a thirteen-year-old girl?  He seems a bit to old to be hanging out with her, don’t you think?

Personally, I feel sorry for this poor girl. She must have some serious emotional problems after all the harassment of her music video debut. As the topic of conversations on talk shows, at work places and even at the lunch table, this girl is an epic starter too chat with friends.

Thankfully, there is a silver lining to this fiasco that is giving the world the giggles. Parodies and spoofs keep us laughing at this miserable song and more are sure to appear over the next few weeks. As this song is set on the back burner as a new “sensation” enters the world wide web, don’t forget to support our local spoofers. Samual Johnson, creator of Fuzzywumpus Theatre, has recreated the song into a well crafted tale called Monday – a parody.  This video is featuring Sam Johnson as “Rebecca Black,” Cody Ihnen as “The Bieb,” Aaron Johnson as a bum and many others were involved in the making of this film.

Warning: These films are not rated and may not be suitable for all eyes. Viewers discretion is advised.

View Comments (20)