It’s a Spy’s Life, Part 8

It’s a Spy’s Life

By: Liz Davidson

This a chapter-by-chapter book about a 16-year-old spy, Angela Darkmoon, as she finds her way in the mixed-up, topsy-turvy world she lives in.

Part 8

Angela decided she’d catch the guy later. For now, she’d just have to be careful. The spy stepped into the elevator, as did Tontoro. Pressing the button, the doors closed and Angela proceeded to push all the buttons in random order. Her boss, in return, looked at her like she was crazy.

“What, I don’t want anyone to figure out which floor we went to,” she retorted, shrugging. Her boss chuckled and ruffled her hair.

As soon as the elevator opened onto their floor, Angela bolted out. She didn’t care for elevators; she’d rather take the stairs. The fact was elevators made it harder for people to follow you. No matter how much of an annoyance something was, she’d take security over preference any day.

A person in a security officer’s uniform was waiting for them at the elevators.

“Good to see you again, Jonathon,” the guard said as soon as he saw Angela’s boss.

“Good to see you, too, Jack,” Tontoro responded shaking the guy’s hand. Angela tilted her head and waited for the story. Sure enough her boss turned to her. “Jack and I fought together in the service.”

“So who is this little lady?” Jack asked, looking at Angela.

“Hi Jack, I’m Angela. I work with Tontoro,” she responded, shaking Jack’s hand.

“Oh, so this is the little troublemaker,” Jack joked winking at Angela. Angela, in response, pretended to glare at her boss.

“Oh, this isn’t my troublemaker, that’s Nali and Jasper. This one is my angel,” her boss corrected jokingly and beamed at her.  Angela slapped an innocent look on her face.

“Well, enough chit chat. I’ve got to get you to Mr. Brewer’s office. And the escort is just so then people won’t be tempted to hinder you while you work,” Jack explained as he started walking down the hall. Angela and her boss started to follow the man, bored because they both had done this before…. just not in this building.

Angela looked around her from something to do, and noticed the artwork on the walls. Mostly they were just art deco, big blotches of colors to help lighten the mood of the area. Occasionally, they were portraits of people or certain scenes of a court house, where obviously there was a prosecution going on. She didn’t care for the art, but than again, it wasn’t her office building.

Not soon enough, Jack stopped and opened a door.

“Here is the office of Mr. James Brewer. Here are the keys to his desk and such, and I’ll be down the hall if you need me,” the ex-service man said before he left the office.

It truly was an office, though more like a doctor’s office. A door at the back of the sitting area separated Brewer’s true office, the one where he did most of his work. There was a desk towards the door that led to the hall, and Angela suspected that’s where Brewer’s secretary sat.

“Angela, go check the office, I’ll take care of this room.” The spy nodded and opened the door to Brewer’s office. It had a full-length bookshelf that ran along two walls. Along with the books, sat pictures and mementos. As Angela pulled on her latex gloves she took a closer look at the pictures.

The door opened and Angela jumped, her hand going for where her gun was usually holstered. Jack was the one who had opened the door. He set an evidence box with the proper bags on the ground.

“The owner of the building likes us to have these on hand, just in case something like this would ever happen. He says it not only helps out, but makes life a little easier for everyone,” Jack commented, pulling on latex gloves. Angela nodded and laughed.

“This does make life easier,” she commented squinting at a picture of Brewer as a child. Next to him was a young Nali. Thinking back to past conversations, the spy remembered her eccentric coworker motioning something about being childhood friends with Brewer. Angela raised an eyebrow and grinned slyly. This would make things interesting.

“So what are we looking for?” Jack asked as he handed Angela one of the bags.

“Anything that could help with solving this mess,” she replied, pulling out a book and flipping through it. Next, Angela put the book in one of the baggies, for she had noticed some slips of paper in the book. If he had known someone was after him, he could have left clues in places where only a few would actually look.

Jack copied her, pulling on latex gloves, and looking at the books. Moving to his desk, Jack tossed her the keys.

“He was always somewhat private and when he found an intern trying to snoop through his desk, he requested that all the drawers can be locked and he wanted his doors to have looks, too.” Angela nodded and sighed as she unlocked all the drawers. Opening the top-most right drawer, she noticed some stationary that had writing on it. Looking closer, she noticed it was a letter that had never been finished, addressed to her.

View Comments (1)