Small numbers won’t hurt Trojanns’ chances of competing for conference title

Senior returning letter winners: Pammy Fixmer, Kristen Schuler, and Sierra Worth. Not pictured: Heather Harris

By Anthony Robinson

Despite the cold temperatures, spring is right around the corner and the Trojann golf team is anxious to get back on the greens for the 2011 Trojann golf season.   The Trojanns return five letter-winners from last year’s successful team. The 2010 girls finished second at the conference tournament behind Kuemper last May.

According to coach Kathy Hobson, this year’s team has seven girls, freshman to senior, vying for six varsity spots. “I hope we’re few and mighty,” Hobson said.  Four returning letter-winner seniors, Kristen Schuler, Sierra Worth, Pammy Fixmer, and Heather Harris will lead the charge for the Trojanns. “Kristen Schuler will probably start as our number one,” Hobson commented. Junior Kaitlynn Walter, the other returning letter winner, finished second at last year’s Hawkeye 10 conference tournament.  Hobson said that Walter will most likely fill the number two spot but the remaining four spots will be up for grabs between the five other golfers.

According to Hobson, six golfers will be on the varsity roster, but only the four best scores count in the team scoring on the day of a meet.

The other 2011 Trojann golfers are freshmen Bailey Walter and Brooke Fletcher.

The Trojanns hope to compete this year for the conference title. Hobson said that the Trojanns will be among the top three schools in the Hawkeye 10, with Kuemper and Clarinda. She hopes that the girls do well in regional and district play for the chance to play at state.  “Our ultimate goal is to continue playing come June,” Hobson said.

Hobson says the Trojanns need to work on their short game to drop a few strokes.

“We’ve got a lot of potential with this group.  The potential is there; it depends on whether the girls want to work on their game or not.”

The Trojanns open up the 2011 season against defending conference champion Kuemper, Tuesday, April 5.  For a complete schedule of the Trojanns’ season, click here.