Trojans on Their Way to State

Four Atlantic-CAM wrestlers qualify for State.

Senior+Aybren+Moore+raises+his+arm+in+triumph.+Moore+qualified+for+State+in+the+113+pound+weight+class.+

Lexie Trotter

Senior Aybren Moore raises his arm in triumph. Moore qualified for State in the 113 pound weight class.

Dani Mathisen, Editor

As the end of the postseason approaches, four Atlantic-CAM wrestlers still have the chance to earn a State title.

On Saturday, Feb. 15, seven Trojan wrestlers battled to finish first or second at 2A Districts, held in Atlantic, to advance onto State. Juniors Payton Fewson and Devin McKay were both pinned during their first matches. Sophomore Ethan Follman competed at the 120 pound weight class, winning his first match 5-4. In the finals, he fell shy of continuing on to State. 

Freshman Easton O’Brien won his first match and placed second at 106 pounds. Senior Aybren Moore wrestled at 113 and won both of his matches, which then led him to qualify for State. At 126 pounds, junior Joe Weaver obtained first place and will be one of the four Trojan wrestlers competing. Senior Cale Roller finished runner-up at 285 pounds after pinning his opponent in 29 seconds during his second match.

The boys will travel to the Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines on Thursday, Feb. 20, to compete in the Class 2A first rounds starting at 1:30 p.m.