Eden to Chrysler: Make the ME 412 – GUEST OPINION

By Gage Eden – GUEST OPINION
The Chrysler ME 412 is a mid-engined supercar (hence ME).  Packed under the hood is a staggering eight-hundred and fifty horsepower quad turbo-charged V12 engine. For people who don’t know cars, that is the equivalent of Mike Tyson’s right hook to one’s face.  It has everything:  power, a projected top speed surpassing a heart stopping two hundred and fifty miles per hour, a luxurious interior, and even a “supercar” price tag, estimated between four hundred thousand and one million US dollars, a pretty penny for a mere car, some might say.  But to many others, including myself, there is only one problem with this masterpiece: it was never produced.

This has caused much controversy in the world of car enthusiasts.  Many believe Chrysler made a monster mistake by halting the production of this would-be supercar; others would say it was a worthless investment and proceeding with production would only have ruined Chrysler Corp.

Chrysler’s reason for investigating this realm of vehicles was simply to draw attention to Chrysler Corp., a company mostly known for their everyday cars and vans.  The attention this car would have drawn was intended to increase sales for Chrysler and allow new and improved technologies for their cars.  And by producing a car of this nature, it was not only a possibility, but a guarantee Chrysler would bring attention to itself.  Chrysler’s ultimate reason for canceling this project was to save money needed to rebuild the company after the questionable economic situation.

However, with the general population showing tremendous interest in this car, it seems that sales would make up for money spent, and may have even made money for the company.  So from this aspect, finalizing production would have been a better choice for Chrysler.  Even beyond the money situation, this car posed many advantages not only  towards Chrysler, but towards the American economy as well.

American cars are noted mostly for the classic muscle cars, and the modern “safety class” cars.  American supercars, however, are remarkably scarce.  Although obviously not everyone can afford cars of this expense, cost is not the only reason they are so scarce.  Another big reason is because there are only two true American supercars: the SSC Ultimate Aero, and the Saleen S7 TT.  There are also three lesser supercars: the Chevrolet Corvette, the Dodge Viper, and the Ford GT.  They are “lesser” due to the fact that they cost only a quarter of the price of the SSC and Saleen (and any other supercar for that matter), and they don’t even compare to the capabilities of a true supercar.  In fact, according to many forum websites, several people have noted interest in purchasing a supercar but, not wanting a foreign product, have veered from the idea due to the lack of availability of an American made car.

So, if another American option was added to the short list, perhaps in greater production numbers, it seems sales would increase.  But with production costs versus sales being another deterrent, one must assure sales.  When comparing the ME 412’s probable $400,000 base price tag (base meaning no added extra luxuries) to many foreign supercar price tags exceeding $1,000,000 (the Bugatti Veyron, for example, has a base price of $1,700,000) it seems this car could compete on the international level.

Not only would this bring money in sales for Chrysler, but investors all around the world would want a piece of this hot new car, which would bring money directly to the American economy, which would assist in ending this recession.  Investors, car enthusiasts, car magazines, car related TV shows, and any/all news stations related to cars would flock to get the best information on this car possible.  It would become the center of attention of cars all over the world.  Who wouldn’t want to see this car?  All the attention then brought to Chrysler would put them in the perfect situation to release a new technology or car for average citizens, which would be exploited by the media and in turn explode sales.

Clearly there are numerous pros for this car, whether it be nearly guaranteed sales to Chrysler, money brought into the American economy, another record setting American car, or even if it was a simple testament telling the world “Yeah, America has what it takes!”  And with few cons, all revolving around productions costs, it looks as if Chrysler should reconsider the ME 412.

View Comments (1)