It’s a Spy’s Life, Part 6

It’s a Spy’s Life

By: Liz Davidson

This a chapter-by-chapter book about a 16-year-old spy, Angela Darkmoon, as she finds her way in the mixed-up, topsy-turvy world she lives in.

Part 6

“Ah, Angela. What can I do for you?” Jake Croston, the forensic pathologist, asked looking up with his scalpel in hand. He had been performing an autopsy on the body she had found yesterday. Angela had walked into the room from the elevator, which opened right into Jake’s lab.

“Whatcha working on?” Angela asked in return, leaning against one of the other tables.

“Oh, just trying to unlock the answers to this poor man’s demise,” he responded, continuing his work. She nodded and gulped the last of her coffee.

“Tontoro wants to know if you have anything for him,” Angela commented looking into her cup.

“Not yet, but we will soon, won’t we?” Suddenly Angela’s pager started beeping and she looked at it with a scowl.

“Sorry, but I can’t stay. I have to ask Nali if she has anything yet,” Angela sighed as she trudged her way to the door.

“Have a good rest of the day, Angela,” Jake responded as Angela walked out.

“You, too,” she said as she stopped and smiled at the older man. Before long, Angela was walking into Nali’s lab.

“Boss, is that you?” the bunny-loving woman asked. She had latex gloves on and seemed to take a sample of something.

“Nope, it’s me.  Boss wants to know what you have so far.”

“Well so far, I’ve been able to tell, he in fact was a guy and that he doesn’t live in the area,” as she finished capped the petri dish. One of Nali’s machines started beeping like crazy and printed out something.

“Well, I guess we’ll find out his name from the fingerprints,” Nali commented as she walked over to the machine, “What do we have here?”

Angela sighed and grabbed the paper from her co-worker. Then she scanned its contents. Her John Doe was in fact a high-time lawyer, Mr. James Brewer.

“Thanks, Nali,” called the spy as she rushed out of the lab.

This time Angela took the stairs; she kept looking at the information. Who would have so much dirt on this guy that they would kill him? Yes, he had been a lawyer, but he was well liked. He would defend anyone if given a third of a chance. He took risks and did his job effectively. Of course, Angela had to wonder about some of the other lawyers, but they seemed to like him, too. He’d go out of his way to help them on a case, even if it might be against a person he was defending.

Abruptly, Angela fell forward and a hand caught her elbow.