Trojans unable to slow down Rams

Sophomore Dalton Franken

by Anthony Robinson

From the opening tip, the Atlantic Trojans found themselves on the wrong side of a shooting parade.  Atlantic never led during the entire game at Glenwood on Monday, Feb. 21.  The Glenwood Rams defeated the Trojans in the first round of class 3A district play, 63-46.

The loss ended the Trojans’ season with a 7-15 record.

The Rams controlled the opening tip, spelling doom for the Trojans.  Senior Kyle Wheeler hit a 3-pointer from the right wing less than 30 seconds in to give the Rams the lead for good.  The Rams opened the game on a 17-3 run, and led at the end of the first 23-5.  The Rams were lights-out from the field.  Leading scorer senior Cole Darrow had 11 points to go along with Wheeler’s 8 in the first quarter.

The Trojans were able to end the half on a 7-2 run and outscored the Rams 15-10 in the quarter, but still found themselves down 33-20 at the half.

Atlantic struggled to shoot the ball in the first half, but were able to create a few opportunities to get to the charity stripe.  The Trojans shot 10-11 from the free-throw line in the first 16 minutes.

To start the second half, the Trojans came out of the locker room with an extra hop in their step. The Trojans cut the Rams lead to single digits at the 5 minute mark in the third quarter. The Rams had held a double-digit lead since the first quarter at 14-4. Sophomore Chad Christensen scored 8 of his 13 points in the first four minutes of the second half.  The Trojans’ rhythm fell off pace, as Glenwood retook a double-digit lead and took a 50-32 lead into the the final quarter.

In the fourth quarter, the Rams took their largest lead of 23, 61-38.  The Trojans tried to get back within reach in the final quarter.  Atlantic finished the game on an 8-2 run, to bring the final margin down to 17, 63-46.

The Trojans were led by sophomore Dalton Franken with 16 points, going 8-8 from the free throw line.  Junior Gunnar Blum added 13 for Atlantic.

Atlantic shot an impressive 18-23 from the free throw line.

Glenwood was led by senior Cole Darrow with 22 points, and senior Taylor Kaufman with 15 points and 14 rebounds.

The Rams shot 48 percent from the field (24-50).

For a complete summary of the Trojans’ season click here.