• December 4Good luck to the boys' swim team this Saturday at Marshalltown!

• December 4The Council Bluffs Classic is this weekend. Good luck to the wrestlers competing!

• December 4Good luck to the boys' and girls' basketball teams on Friday at Creston!

• December 4The boys' swim team is heading up to Sioux City on Thursday. Good luck!

Queen Kills it on the Silver Screen — Review

Bohemian Rhapsody is the newest Queen biopic.

Grace Clay, Editor

This should go without saying, but SPOILER ALERT. If you have not watched the movie yet, leave now or forever hold your peace.

“Bohemian Rhapsody” is a Freddie Mercury biopic produced and directed by Bryan Singer. Queen members Brian May and Roger Taylor approved of the script before production.

There were many great, amazing, beautiful things about this movie but I believe one of the best things about this movie was casting. All of the actors did phenomenal jobs at playing their respective Queen members and I did enjoy Mike Myers’ cameo as Ray Foster. The characters themselves were great, except friggin’ Paul Prenter. He was a crappy human being and I was so happy when Mercury finally fired him. I think my favorite was Brian though. He was cool, and pretty level-headed as well (I could definitely learn a thing or two from that). Prenter threw himself at Mercury when he sure as elephants knew that Mercury was engaged to Mary (this was before he realized he was bisexual or gay–the movie isn’t entirely clear on which it is–) and this made Mercury question a lot.

Another remarkable thing about this movie was the story line. I do understand that it is not 100% accurate to Mercury’s actual life but that doesn’t mean it’s not a great story. I also enjoyed the little things they added to the movie. For example, when Mercury was in his first band (this band was called Smile but it later became Queen) he accidentally broke a mic stand and this became his trademark half stand that he always sang with.

The most astounding part of this movie, however, was the soundtrack. I have been a fan of Queen since the very first time I heard “Bohemian Rhapsody” (I know it’s cheesy but it’s true). They used many of Queen’s popular songs, including “Bohemian Rhapsody” and “Killer Queen.” They also included some of their lesser known songs including “Hammer to Fall” and “Keep Yourself Alive.” 

Now that I’ve talked about all of the incredible things about this movie, let’s dig into what is wrong with it. In my opinion, there were not many things wrong with this movie. It’s very well made, great cast, great script, and it was put together really well but they probably should’ve made it more like Mercury’s own life instead of changing things up, especially since they’re calling it a biopic.

Despite that, I still thoroughly enjoyed the movie and would definitely recommend watching this movie, especially if you are a Queen fan. This movie helps you understand what Mercury had gone through before his passing in 1991 of AIDS related pneumonia and what the band went through while gaining fame.

Grace Clay, Editor

A new school year also means another year of writing AHSneedle stories for editor Grace Clay. Now a junior in high school, Clay enjoys writing stories...