Show Choir Blast sets announced

According to choir director Luke Johnson, the Show Choir Blast sets have been chosen: Queen Set, Michael Jackson Set, and Katy Perry Set.

The selection of sets is a collaboration between the students and the director. We have two showchoirs in our school: Diversity and Primer, but for Show Choir Blast, we’re bringing back the past and having three show choirs. The Freshmen girls will be doing a set including songs from Katie Perry while the JV prep-group will be doing songs from Michael Jackson. “I love doing things with current issues,” says choral director Luke Johnson, when Nora Walker came in with the song Firework by Katie Perry after all the GLBT suicides, Johnson commented “Oh, Katy Perry, that would be really cool to do.”

The Michael Jackson set is a wonderful contribution to some of his music, it opens up the student’s imagination to crazy dance moves such as the Thriller dance. “[Michael Jackson] is so much more than [just the songs and dancing],” says Johnson, and the hopes are high for a spectacular set.

Back in October, senior Anna Smith,of the Varsity showchoir, came to Johnson.  “She planted a seed and then it grew into something really cool.” Anna Smith’s idea blossomed into the set of Queen, featuring the song “Give me Somebody to Love.”

“I think show choir is a good way to bring a class together in a fun way,” says senior Cortnie Kirchhoff, “I think we’ll be able to relate more the the adults in the audience” with the sets of Michael Jackson and Queen.