• September 19Float building starts tonight!!

• September 18Good luck to the football boys this Friday against Kuemper at home!

• September 18Volleyball faces off against St. Albert on Thursday. Good luck!

• September 18The girls' cross country team is ranked #9 in the state! Congrats girls!

• September 18Boys' and girls' cross country is running at Creston tonight and Harlan on Saturday. Good luck!

• August 27We encourage everyone to order a yearbook!

Read Across America Day at AHS

Washington Elementary teamed up with high school seminar classes to enjoy some time reading.

Junior Korben Petersen smiles while reading to Washington student.

Dr. Seuss once said, “The more that you read the more things you will know, the more that you learn the more places you’ll go.” National Read Across America Day was held on Friday, March 2, in honor of Dr. Seuss’s birthday. and classes from pre-kindergarten through third grade were invited to come to the high school from Washington Elementary to listen to books being read to them or read to high school students. Pre-kindergartener Rylan Bishop said he was “super excited to read with the big kids,” and his favorite Dr. Seuss book is Horton Hears a Who.

The more that you read the more things you will know, the more that you learn the more places you’ll go.”

— Dr. Seuss

Librarian Ginger Bechtold has been a leader in organizing the event. She said the first time Washington classes came to the high school for this activity, people around the elementary school saw the children leaving and called the police department wanting to know if something was wrong at the school. The community now expects to see Washington students head to the high school for this annual event.

Books were picked out by AHS students during a study hall or English class. This was the third year the school district has participated in this nationwide activity. Other schools do things such as reading Dr. Seuss books, making crafts, watching Dr. Seuss movies or inviting guest speakers to talk to their students.

According to the National Education Association, the first ever official Read Across America Day was held in March of 1997, continuing every year since. It was first created by the NEA with the intent to honor Dr. Seuss as well as emphasize how important reading actually is, posting this explanation: “We hold pep rallies to get kids excited about football. We assemble to remember that Character counts. Why don’t we do something to get kids excited about reading? We’ll call it, ‘NEA’s Read Across America’ and we’ll celebrate it on Dr. Seuss’s birthday.”

You’re never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child.”

— Dr. Seuss

Some of the books written by Dr. Seuss were also made into movies, such as “Horton Hears a Who,” “The Lorax,” “The Cat in the Hat” and “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.” Bishop said his favorite Dr. Seuss movie is “The Cat in the Hat.” He said, “They made a big mess in the movie. It was funny.”

Dr. Seuss said, “You’re never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child.” Just because students are in high school doesn’t mean they can’t read to children, enjoy a short time with them, and make it as fun as possible.