Offensive explosive propels Trojanns to easy victory

by Anthony Robinson

In game two of the boy-girl double-header in Creston on Friday night, the Trojanns defeated the Panthers 62-49.

With the win in their final regular season game, the Trojanns broke an eight-game losing streak.  The Trojanns finished the regular season going 3-10 in conference and 6-15 overall.

Senior Taylor Young came out on a tear in the first quarter, scoring the first four points of the game.  Young had 20 in the first meeting against Creston, and had 10 in the first quarter of Friday night’s game. The Trojanns zone-full-court- press defense held the Panthers to 10 points in the first quarter. The Trojanns led 22-10 after the first quarter of play.

The entire first half was an offesive explosion for the Trojanns.  The Trojanns scored 38 in the first half.  The Trojanns scored 38 points the entire game on Tuesday against the Dension Monarchs.  Young led all scorers with 15, as the Trojanns took a 38-23 lead into the half.

The second half was keyed by junior forward Alex Hartwig.  Hartwig scord 14 of her 16 points, in the second half. Hartwig also had five rebounds, including three on the offensive side of the court.  The Trojans led 51-33 after three quarters of play.

The Trojanns outrebounded the Panthers 31-25.

The Trojanns were able to continue to find openings in the middle of the Panther defense the entire second half.  Creston was able to get within 12, but not any closer, as the Trojanns won 62-49.

Young led all scorers with 17, but only had two points in the second half, both from the free throw line.

Junior Madison Frain led the Panthers with 21 points.

The Trojanns travel to Denison on Wednesday, Feb. 16 to take on the Monarchs in the first round of class 3A, region 8, postseason play.