Making New Friends

New year means new people to greet from other countries! AHS has welcomed three new exchange students that will be staying here in Atlantic for the 2017-2018 school year.

A new school year here at AHS, which means there are new students and new things to experience. This year, Atlantic welcomed three new exchange students that will bring a new understanding about the world around us.

Akhut Suleimenov is from Astana, Kazakhstan which is located in central Asia.  He arrived in America for the third time on Aug. 17, just days from beginning his first day here in Atlantic. He travelled to America twice before deciding to come and stay in Atlantic. He visited both Chicago and Washington for a school trip for students that had very good marks.

There are quite a few differences between his home country and Atlantic he said. “I think everything, here they have different subjects and they have a specific dress codes. They have a different nature too, like trees.”

Another major difference is that Akhut’s school has a male volleyball team which is one of his favorite hobbies. Other things he enjoys doing are, soccer, table tennis and ice skating, and video games. Akhut is even trying out American football here in Atlantic.

Even though the nature and sports etiquette is different, the food Akhut enjoys is “anything with potatoes and chicken,” which is a basic dish that is also enjoyed here in America.

Although he has only been here for a short period of time, Akhut really likes the classes calculus and physics.

Akhut will be staying here in Atlantic for the whole 2017-2018 school year and is staying with the Oliver family who kindly opened their home to another foreign exchange student for the second time.

Nouha Barray is from Morocco, which is located in Africa. She first arrived to America on Aug. 1 and spent some time in Washington D.C. exploring the interesting history that is held there. Her favorite place that she visited in Washington D.C. was the World War two memorial.

Her experience here in America has been great so far, but has also noticed a few differences from here to her home country. Such as the food and weather. Nouha’s interests consist of music, movies and photography. Her favorite food is Tajine, which is a dish that has many different spices and a choice of fish or any other type of meat that you desire to have. Her favorite classes here in Atlantic is physics and english.

The family that kindly provided a home to her for the year are the Shulzs’.

The final exchange student that is spending the year here at Atlantic is Yara Haidar. Her home country is Lebanon which is located in Asia. Yara first arrived to America on Aug. 1, but after stopping at more locations. Her first stop was at Germany then entered America when she stopped at Washington D.C. then Des Moines.

One thing she has noticed that is different from her home, was the school. In Lebanon the teacher switch classes and the students stay in the class. She also doesn’t have the opportunity to choose her own classes in Lebanon.

Her interests consist of watching soccer, playing basketball, dancing and swimming. For her favorite food, she said she doesn’t have a favorite, she likes everything.

Haidar’s favorite classes here at AHS are, chemistry, spanish, physics and english.

Her host family, that kindly accepted her into their home are Troy and Monica Taylor.