It’s a Spy’s Life, Part 4

It’s a Spy’s Life

By: Liz Davidson

This a chapter-by-chapter story about a 16-year-old spy, Angela Darkmoon, as she finds her way in the mixed-up, topsy-turvy world she lives in.

Part 4

All the boss did was whip out his phone and started calling someone. Angela crouched, looking for any clues.

“Thanks, bye. Hey! Jasper! Nate! Get Down Here With The Equipment!” the leader yelled. Angela rolled her eyes as her boss came to stand right next to her.

“I don’t think this is our usually murder,” she whispered to him.

“Why? Listening to your instincts, like a good little spy,” Jasper taunted as he set the equipment down on the side of the road. Angela glared at him.

“Yes, I was. As I’ve learned, more times out of not you’re right if you listen to your instincts,” she replied, carefully grabbing the camera Nate held out for her. She took a few snap-shots before scouring the ground for more clues. The teen then found a huge duffel bag a few yards away.  She took a few shots of that.

Soon enough the people who were in charge of taking care of this type of thing showed up. They bustled out of their cars with their own equipment.  She handed the camera off to one of them while she walked back to her boss’s SUV.

Angela dealt with this type of thing everyday, it seemed like it, but she tried to keep a hold on her humanity. This man was somebody’s husband or boyfriend; someone’s son, brother, best friend. She hugged her stomach as she sighed, it was always sad to think this was the end of someone’s life, ended way before their time.

George, one of the crime scene experts handed her a mug of something and pulled out a pencil and pad of paper. He stood beside her for a moment as she took a whiff of the coffee.

“Black? No sugar or creamer.”

“Yep. You know I have to ask you some questions. Just procedure, you know.”

“I know. Ask away.” And George started asking her the regular questions. What did she see and all that jazz. She had been through this before, many times before. It absolutely bored her, but it was protocol.

The rest of the day went by in a blur and soon enough she was falling into bed exhausted. She dreamed of crime scenes and blood, murder and oddly enough bunnies. “I guess Nali’s rubbed off onto me,” she muttered as she shut off her alarm at six in the morning.

She yawned as her cat padded its way into her bedroom. It looked at her for a moment before turning around and walking out of her room. Angela groaned as she got up and walked into the kitchen.

“Jinx, you want food?” she asked as she poured herself a cup of coffee. The black cat jumped onto the counter beside her and she scratched his head. He purred and rubbed his head against her hand. Then he suddenly jumped off the counter and walked over to his food bowel. Looking back at her, he mewed and batted his bowel with his paw.

“Alright, I’m coming,” she told the feline as she got his cat food out. He mewed and started eating as soon as the spy put his food in his dish. She went back to getting her own breakfast ready, pulling out a bowel and spoon.

The TV turned on all by itself to the news channel. “Bobby! Quit messing with the TV!” she called out to her imaginary ghost. It was fun when people would come over and stuff would turn on and off. It scared the be-jibbers out of people. Angela absolutely loved it.

The body she had found was already on the news. Just like the one story, she already knew the other stories and the details. It was her job to know before everybody else.

“Why do they always report on the same old boring things,” she asked Jinx as she rinsed her bowel out and set it in the sink. He just looked at her and rubbed against her legs. “Lets go get ready for work, shall we,” the teen commented as she picked up her cat and walked into her bedroom.

Her morning was the same old routine, until she got to work. As soon as she stepped out of her car, she was surrounded by tons of paparazzi people.

“Miss Angela! How did you know the body was in the ditch?”

“Is he really a John Doe?”

She said nothing as she slipped in-between and around people. She dodged cameras and huge microphones.

“Is there any link between this murder and the murder of your parents,” a news reporter asked.