Titans defense hold Trojans

Sophomore Dalton Franken led all scorers with 23 points.

by Anthony Robinson

The Atlantic Trojans boys basketball team traveled to Council Bluffs, Friday, Feb. 4, to take on the Lewis Central Titans.   The Titans needed a final shot as time expired to defeat the Trojans in the two teams first meeting on Jan. 4.  Friday’s game was a different story.  The Titans led almost the entire game on their way to a 62-52 win.

With the loss the Trojans fell to 5-6 in conference and 7-10 overall.

Early in the game, the Trojans took a six to nothing lead, before the Titans leading scorer, Luke Norville, hit two field goals to pull the Titans within one.  The Titans finished the quarter on a 14-6 run, taking a 14-12 lead into the second quarter.

In the second, the Titans began to build their lead.  The Trojans commited nine turnovers and were unable to stop the Titans from making easy lay-ups during the first half.  The Titans were also able to take control of the offensive boards creating many second-chance opportunites.  Norville hit a three-pointer to end the half to give the Titans’ their largest lead of the first half at 11, 34-23.   Norville scored 13 of his team high 17 points, in the first half.  Sophomore Dalton Franken led the Trojans with 11 in the first half.  The Trojans shot a miserable 7-15 from the free throw line in the first half.

In the first game between the two schools, the Trojans were able to exploit the Titans man-to-man defense scoring 37 points in the second half of that game.  In Friday’s game, the Titans switched to a zone defense to limit the Trojans scoring opportunities.

The Trojans didn’t make their first field goal of the second half until the 5:04 mark of the third.  The Trojans got as close as eight points three different times in the third, but were unable to take any of the momentum away from the Titans.  Lewis Central led 46-36 heading into the final quarter.

The Titans jumped out to their largest lead of the entire game of 18, 57-39, with just under four minutes to play in the game.  The Trojans went on an eight to nothing run to put the Trojans back to within 10 with just under one and a half minutes to play.  The Trojans were forced to foul to put the Titans at the line.   The Titans went only 10 for 21 from the free throw line for the entire game, but were able to hit five big free throws late, to seal the win for the Titans.

The Titans had three players in double figures.

The Trojans were led by Franken with 23 points and 12 rebounds.  Junior Gunnar Blum added 10 points and 13 rebounds.

The Trojans finished the game 11-22 from the charity stripe and made only one of 15 three-point field goals.

Sophomore Chad Christensen the Trojans leading three-point shooter, with a team high 23 three-pointers for the season, was held scoreless for his second straight game.

The Trojans travel to Denison Tuesday night to take on the Monarchs.   The Monarchs defeated the Trojans by one point 65-64 in the two teams first meeting.