Girls Track Brings Home Second-Place Finish

By Savannah Sorensen

Friday night, the girls track team traveled to Denison for the Denison/Schleswig CoEd Relays. Scoring in every event, the Trojans took second place with 114 points, coming in behind Denison who took the team title with 129 points. The Trojans had a total of 22 individual personal record’s.

Setting the momentum for the Trojans, sophomore Tiffany Williams and junior Savannah Sorensen started things off in the 3000 meter run with Williams placing first and Sorensen placing third. Setting a new PR with a time of 11:28.89, the 4×800 relay team placed second and consisted of juniors Macey Schmitt and Karly Monson, and freshmen Alexis Brockman and Lexi Freund. Also setting a new PR with a time of 1:17.17 was the shuttle hurdle relay team, sophomore Laeni Pelzer, and freshmen Kerra Christensen, Bailey Schildberg and Stephanie Sandbothe. In the 4×200 meter relay, the team of senior Kristin Johnk, Monson, and freshman Kyja Arnold and Olivia Davis, placed second and set a new PR with a time of 2:01.60.

Head coach Paul Iekel said, “I’m very pleased with the performances overall, more competitive efforts in general. 22 individual PR’s from this meet and some young runners had significant personal improvements.”

Sandbothe had a fantastic 100 meter hurdles setting a new PR and placing second. Williams placed first in the 1500 meter run and Monson placed fourth. On the throwing side, senior Tetta Askeland placed fourth in shot put with a throw of 31”10’ and PR’ing once again. In field events, Williams placed second in the long jump with a jump of 14”01’ and Sandbothe placed third in the high jump with the height of 4”06’.

Schildberg said, “I don’t feel like I did my best, but I definitely could have done better. We did amazing as a team though.”

According to Iekel, some key highlights were “scoring in all field events, we actually scored in every single event.” Individual highlights include Williams “taking care of business” in the 3000 and 1500, anchoring the distance medley and placing second in the long jump; Monson had “strong and improved times” in the 4×800, 1500 and filled in on the 4×200 meter relay helping the relay team to a second place finish. Iekel said, “The throwers all improved by at least a foot.”

The Trojans head to Creston on Monday evening, the meet will begin at 5 p.m.