Students Prepare for All-State

All-State auditions begin

by Savannah Hoye

ATLANTIC, Ia.- Students from Atlantic High School are preparing for the vocal competition of their lives.

Luke Johnson, the AHS choral director, is taking as many steps as possible to thoroughly equip the group of 22 singers for their audition.

Seven students from each school may audition in each of the four parts (soprano, alto, tenor and baritone/bass).  Students are then grouped with up to four parts.  They then practice as an ensemble, working on diction, cut-offs and dynamics. Together they must prepare eight songs to their full potential before Oct. 23.

On that day students meet at Johnson’s house around 4:30 a.m. After vocalizing warm-ups, they eat breakfast before heading to Harlan. On the bus, Johnson makes calls to find out the final singing cuts in the music.

Once they arrive in Harlan, students rehearse numerous times, then wait in suspense for their 7-minute time slot.  They then enter their assigned rooms and sing, hoping that in those few moments they will be able to impress the judges.

When the audition is over, students eagerly await the acceptance and the recall lists. If they advance to the recalls, students have one more chance for selection.

Sophomore Cassandra Hallman explained her reason for auditioning: “Trying something new as well as become a better individual singer.”  Junior Robert Nichols said, “I’ve always enjoyed singing in the shower, and I thought to myself ‘Hey. If I can do this, I should audition for All-State.’”