Trojans lose another heartbreaker

Coaches Steve Blazek and Trace Petersen at the Glenwood-Atlantic game

By Anthony Robinson

After the Trojanns were defeated in game one by four points, the boys team looked to turn the tables. Coming into the game, the Trojans were riding a four-game winning streak.  However, after leading all but 10 seconds of regulation, the Trojans were defeated by Tri-Center, 73-72 in overtime.

Since the Christmas break, the Trojans are 4-3.  Each of Atlantic’s three losses have had a combined margin of defeat of only four points.

The Trojans came onto the court following up their impressive 73-point offensive explosion against Glenwood, hitting their first four field goals to take an early 10-0 lead.  Sophomore Dalton Franken scored eight of the Trojans’ first 10 points.  After shooting 5-8 from behind the three-point line, the Trojans led 26-16 at the end of the opening quarter.

Tri-Center was able to come back in the second quarter, outscoring the Trojans 14-11, to pull within seven points at the half, 37-30.

In the third, Tri-Center pulled within two points near the midway point of the quarter, 43-41.  After four straight points by junior Gunnar Blum, the Trojans held a 47-41 lead.  The Trojans ended the quarter on a 14-5 run to take an 11-point lead into the fourth quarter.

After three error-free quarters, the wheels fell off for the Trojans in the fourth.  After three consecetive turnovers, Tri-Center had pulled within three points.  After a timeout by coach Steve Blazek, sophomore Chad Christensen hit two free throws to put the Trojans up by five, 63-58 with 1:44 remaining in regulation.

With just over a minute to go, Tri-Center was able to get a basket to pull within three.   With 36.8 seconds left in the game, Blum was called for a technical foul, giving Tri-Center a chance for two free throws while maintaining possession of the ball.  Tri-Center was able to hit both free throws to pull within one 63-62.

Atlantic managed to get the ball back without Tri-Center scoring, forcing the home team to foul the Trojans in order to save time on the clock.  Sophomore Harrison Hoegh was sent to the line with less than 20 seconds remaining.  Hoegh was able to hit the first, but missed the second.  Tri-Center got the rebound off the second and went coast-to-coast for an easy lay-up to tie the game for the first time in the entire game, 64-64 with 10 seconds remaining in regulation.  After another Trojan turnover, Tri-Center took a final shot for a chance to win the game.  The shot fell just short as the buzzer sounded, sending the game to an extra period.

Tri-Center junior Kellon Ausdemore hit a three-point field goal during Tri-Center’s first possession of overtime to take their first lead of the entire game.  Franken was able to answer with a three of his own, tying the game back up at 67.  Tri-Center then managed to convert a three-point play on their next possession to take a three-point lead.  On the other end, Hoegh hit a tough bucket and was fouled in the process, giving the Trojans a chance to tie the game.  Hoegh missed the free throw.

Tri-Center’s Ausdemore hit his sixth three-point field goal of the night on the next possession to give Tri-Center a four point lead, 73-69.  After a three-point shot by Christensen on Atlantic’s next possession, the game was back to a one-point lead for Tri-Center.  Atlantic was able to get a steal, but a traveling foul returned the ball to Tri-Center with 50 seconds to play.

Tri-Center couldn’t even get the ball in bounds, giving the ball back to Atlantic.  The Trojans then had three shot opportunities but were unable to score.  With three seconds left, the Trojans were forced to foul Tri-Center.  Tri-Center missed the free throw, and Atlantic got the rebound, giving the Trojans one last attempt with 2.9 seconds on the clock.

After a tipped pass on the Trojans first attempt to get the ball in play, 1.4 seconds remained in overtime.  The Trojans were able to the get the ball across court, but were unable to get a shot off as time expired.  Tri-Center prevailed with a 73-72 win.

Franken led the Trojans with 18 points.  Three others scored in double-figures for the Trojans.

The Trojans host Clarinda Friday night, with Coach Steve Blazek searching for career win number 500.

View Comments (2)