Forensics Spring Showcase

Forensics+coach+Matt+Smith+inducted+new+members+into+the+AHS+chapter+of+the+National+Forensics+League+on+Saturday+the+18.+

Forensics coach Matt Smith inducted new members into the AHS chapter of the National Forensics League on Saturday the 18.

Monica Brewer

On a rainy April 18, the speech team was warm and dry, presenting some of their talent to an appreciative audience.  The Spring Showcase started when speech coach Matthew Smith inducted the new members into the AHS chapter of the National Forensics League.  Those inductees included freshmen Braden Bean, Rebekah Hallman, Gabriel Martinez, Josh McLean; sophomores Matthew Brewer, Max Elwood; junior Lydia Joseph; and seniors Halee Glenn, Benjamin Parker, Haley Schweigert, and Justin Somers.

After the first inductee ceremony came most of the acts in Part 1 of the Showcase:

(Category/Name of Act/Student(s) that perform)

After Dinner Speaking/ Taking the Stage: performed by senior Brecklyn Carey

Reviewing/ In the Aeroplane Over the Sea: performed by senior Mark Stinn

Storytelling/ Harold and the Magic Dragon: performed by Hallman

Reviewing/ The Freddy Books: performed by senior Hannah McLean

Radio News Announcing: performed by sophomore Hannah Wright

Original Oratory/ Into The Woods: performed by Carey

The acts that didn’t perform in the first half of the showcase were:

Poetry/ OCD: performed by Joseph

Prose/ Dog Ownership For Beginners: performed by (Josh) McLean

After a 10 minute intermission, the International Thespian Society Induction Oath was proclaimed by sophomore Zaria Agboglo, junior Corgan Peterson, and seniors Carey, (Hannah) McLean, Parker, and Chandler Staley.  Following the induction oath was the second half of the showcase, which was the theatrical pieces.  The pieces that were performed were:

Group Musical Theatre/ Shrek the Musical: performed by Carey, Elwood, Glenn, (Hannah) McLean, Parker, and Somers

Acting/ The Good Mother: performed by Schweigert

Solo Musical Theatre/ Empty Chairs at Empty Tables: performed by Parker

Ensemble Acting/ Patio: performed by Carey and McLean

Solo Musical Theatre/ I Dreamed a Dream: performed by Glenn

Poetry/ The Bells: performed by McLean

Following the final act of the showcase, Smith made closing remarks saying that he’ll miss the seniors and hopes that next year will be great.  The thespians had a great run this year that included many division one ratings among the members, and with three members going to All-State.