IHSSA Results in 10 One Ratings

Senior+Brecklyn+Carey+received+two+one+ratings+in++After+Dinner+Speaking+and+Original+Oratory.+

Senior Brecklyn Carey received two one ratings in After Dinner Speaking and Original Oratory.

Monica Brewer

by Monica Brewer

This past Saturday, the Thespians competed at the IHSSA (Iowa High School Speech Association) Individual Events State contest.  Out of the 14 entries that went to state, 10 received a division one, or superior rating.  Nine of these entries had straight division one ratings, meaning that all three judges gave ones to the participant.  Also, three students who participated received an overall one rating in both of their events.

10 students went to IHSSA.  The students who went include seniors Brecklyn Carey, Halee Glenn, Hannah McLean, Ben Parker, Haley Schweigert, and Mark Stinn,  junior Lydia Joseph, sophomore Hannah Wright, and freshmen Rebekah Hallman and Josh McLean.

The students who received one ratings at Individual Events include Carey, who participated in After Dinner Speaking and Original Oratory, Glenn, who participated in Solo Musical Theatre, Hallman, who participated in Storytelling and Literature Program, Joseph, who participated in Poetry Interpretation, and Schweigert in Acting.  Both McLeans also received ones ratings, with Hannah, who participated in Reviewing and Poetry Interpretation and Josh, who participated in Prose Interpretation.

This year, the thespians will get letters at the banquet, and those who received one ratings have a chance to be nominated for All-State Festival.