FFA Hosts Sub Districts

Junior Haley Carlson is an active FFA member, who is a candidate for the office of Southwest District Sentinel.

Submitted by Atlantic FFA Reporter Haley Carlson

On Thursday, Feb. 26, the Atlantic FFA chapter hosted the Sub District Career Development Events.  Atlantic had a great day with several members advancing to District FFA Convention, which was held on Saturday, March 7 in Manning.

FFA members are advancing to Districts.  Junior Haley Carlson competed in “Extemporaneous Speaking” placing 1st, senior Adam Freund competed in “Ag Broadcasting” placing 2nd, freshman Cale Pellett placed 2nd in the “FFA Creed,” and junior Clayton Saeugling placed 3rd in “Ag Sales.”  The Chapter Program team of sophomores Alexis Boes, Colby Sorensen, and Carly Westphalen placed 3rd.  Senior Savannah Sorensen placed 4th in the “Job Interview” category and is the District Alternate.  The Parliamentary Procedure team of junior Emily McDermott and sophomores Lexi Freund, Morgan Barkley, and Nate Moen, and freshman Emily Saeugling placed 4th and are also the District Alternate.   FFA advisor and ag teacher Eric Miller commented, “I was proud of all the hard work each member put into preparing for his or her event.  Every team or individual we had complete advanced or was the alternate.”

Thank you to all of the judges and staff members that helped make this event a success.  The Atlantic FFA had more than 30 judges from around the community participate in judging Sub Districts.  Miller said, “Without the outstanding support of our school and community we would not have an opportunity to host an event like this.  It shows how much the school and community believe in the program.”

Carlson is a candidate for the office of Southwest District Sentinel. She had a series of interviews, which was a long process to help sort the candidates.  After 23 candidates had each completed their individual interview, a group interview was held. The group interview is a team exercise designed to see how each member works in a group.  Each contestant also took an FFA knowledge quiz.  Carlson said, “It was a great experience!  Approaching the interviews with another year of experience allowed me to be better prepared and more relaxed in the interviews process.  It was fun to see old friends and make new ones.”