Show Choir and Jazz Band Kick Off Season

Jazz band competed Saturday, Jan. 17 while show choir will compete Saturday, Jan. 24.

by Corgan Petersen

Lights, camera, click-click.  Last Thursday was the annual Swing Inn concert.  It took place at 7:30 pm in the high school auditorium.  The Atlantic High School Jazz I and show choirs performed.   The show choirs would enter upon hearing a click-click from the drums.

The Swing Inn concert is the traditional debut of the jazz band and show choirs.  Both groups put lots of work into the concert.   The show choirs have been practicing every other day since they learned their choreography earlier this summer.  The jazz band practices Monday’s and Thursday’s after school, and they can last anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half.

However,  the line up was a little different this year for the concert.  In the years past, Jazz II also performed but due to low numbers in the band department and a few other factors, there was not a Jazz II at all this year.

The Swing Inn concert also helped performers prepare for competition as the jazz band competed Saturday the 17 and the show choir will perform this upcoming Saturday.

Atlantic High School band director Jarrod O’Donnell said, “I thought it was a good performance for the first public performance.”  O’Donnell also watched the show choir and said, “I thought they looked really good.  As with any first public performance I thought there was a lot they could clean, the jazz band included.  But overall, I thought it was a good performance.”

Junior Seth Schulte said, “Swing Inn was pretty fun.  I think we did pretty well, but I think we could do better, both jazz band and show choirs alike.  I definitely think Swing Inn helped prepare us for any competitions we have because we get to perform in front of a crowd and learn what it’s like.”

Sophomore Max Elwood said, “I think it was fantastic.  I mean, I’ve never had a better time in my life.  I give our performance an eight out of ten, it could’ve been better, it could’ve been worse.  But overall, it was a good performance out of everyone.”

The jazz and show choir seasons have begun and will last for a couple months as they travel to various competitions.  Both will perform at state contests and compete to receive a division I rating.