Trojans Travel to Glenwood

by Savannah Sorensen

Both boys and girls track teams struggle at the Ram CoEd meet held in Glenwood. The girls finished fifth out of nine teams with a total of 69.4 points and the boys finished seventh out nine with a total of 53.5 points. The best finishes of the night came from sophomore Tiffany Williams, sophomore Alec Hayes, freshman Stephanie Sandbothe, and junior Robby Bodine.

Williams finished first in the 3000 meter run, fourth in the 400 meter dash, and second in the 1500 meter run. Sandbothe tied with freshman Alexis Brockman and three others for second in the high jump. Sandbothe also finished third in the 100 meter hurdles and helped her 4×200 meter relay team to a third place finish. Hayes finished first in the high jump. Bodine finished first in the long jump.

Head coach Paul Iekel said, “We made some progress toward some team goals last night, Tetta breaking 30′ in the shot and 100′ in the discus.  We broke two minutes in the 4×200, and both highjumpers cleared 4-06 at Glenwood, where we haven’t been able to clear opening height all year.  Some JV runners improved their times, and Williams improved on her PR in the 1500 by eight seconds over her all time best and 16 seconds over this year’s best; also PR in the 400.  Turned out to be a decent night when it originally looked like it would be a difficult meet in weather and performances.”

Junior Savannah Sorensen placed fourth in the 3000 meter run. The 4×800 meter relay team finished fifth and consisted of freshmen Anna Iekel and Lexi Freund, Brockman, and junior Mollee Welter. Senior Tetta Askeland finished fourth and sophomore Darien Mills finished fifth in the discus, both setting a new personal best.

Sophomore Brendan Holmes finished third in the 400 meter dash and 400 meter hurdles. The distance medley relay team finished third and consisted of juniors Tristen Benn and Collin Baker, Bodine and senior Josiah Williams.

The Trojans will host a CoEd JV meet on Thursday beginning at 5 p.m.