Trojans Capture Best Team Finish This Season

By Savannah Sorenson

With the best finish in a large-school meet this season, the Trojan girls track team takes third place with 83.5 points at the Lewis Central CoEd Track Meet Tuesday evening. Glenwood took the team title with 197.5 points with Harlan in second with 179 points.

Bringing home the gold in the 3000 meter run with a time of 11:59 and in the 1500 meter run with a time of 5:23, sophomore Tiffany Williams help set the tone for the squad. Junior Savannah Sorensen had a fourth place finish in the 3000 and a ninth place finish in the 400 hurdles. Sorensen improved her personal best by seven seconds. The 4×800 team which consisted of freshmen Lexi Freund and Alexis Brockman, and juniors Macey Schmitt and Mollee Welter. Freund had her new personal best in this event and also finished in fifth place in the 400 meter dash with a time of 1:10.

In the shuttle hurdle relay, freshmen Bailey Schildberg, Kerra Christensen, and Stephanie Sandbothe and sophomore Laeni Pelzer finished in third place with a time of 1:16 and set a new relay record of the season by .55 seconds. Sandbothe also tied for third in the 100-meter hurdles with a recorded time of 17.2 seconds. Senior Kristin Johnk captured eighth place in the 100-meter dash with a time of 13.86 seconds and recorded a new personal record in the event in her career.

The distance medley relay team that consisted of freshman Olivia Davis, Sandbothe, Williams and junior Karly Monson finished fourth with a time of 4:59. Davis also had a personal best in the event breaking 29 seconds in the 200 meters. Monson finished in sixth place in the 1500 meter run with a time of 5:51 and improved her time by one second.

Senior Tetta Askeland finished in seventh place in the shot put with a throw of 29’4”. Askeland and sophomore Darien Mills both placed in the discus in seventh and eighth place. Askeland threw a 90’2” and Mills threw a 81’6”.