Boys Golf Wins Two Tournaments

Boys Golf Wins Two Tournaments

By Cooper Zablocki

The boys golf team competed in their first two 18 hole tournaments of the year last week.  On Tues. Apr. 15, the boys traveled to Shenandoah for the Shenandoah Invitational.  On Thurs. Apr. 17, the golf team competed in Fox Run at the Lewis Central Invitational.

The team placed first in both tournaments and had several medalists.  Evan Schuler of Atlantic was the first medalists in both tournaments as well.  In Shenandoah he won by an amazing seven strokes shooting three under par.  At the Shenandoah Invitational, Sam Renaud shot a 79 securing him top ten finish. Jake Olsen, a varsity freshman, shot an 82 sneaking in at 15th place.

On Thursday the boys were welcomed by some spring frost and a chilly morning.  After the first few holes, the sun made an appearance and it turned out to be a perfect day for golf.  Schuler received another first place medal, with a sub-par score of 70.  “I played pretty well. The greens weren’t in good shape making it hard to make putts. But all in all, I was pleased,” said Schuler. Olsen shaved seven strokes of his last score, and lost a scorecard playoff, finishing in third place.  Thats two tournaments in a row where Atlantic has had three golfers medal individually.

Schuler has also continued his stellar streak of sub-par rounds. His average 18 hole score is a 68.50, the lowest in the state for 3A teams.  He has yet to shot even or above par, simply an awesome statistic. The team as a whole has an average a 306 for 18 hole tournaments and a 150 for 9 hole tournaments. But the team has improved all of their scores each week and there is still lots of golf left to be played. This week the boys have two golf meets at the Atlantic Golf and Country Club. They play Dension Tuesday and Clarinda on Thursday.  The boys also have an 18 hole tournament Saturday at Denison. Stay tuned for more stories on AHSNeedle.com about the boys and girls golf.