Cheer Tryouts

Cheer Tryouts

By Lauren Krogman

The school year is winding down, which means it’s almost time for cheerleading tryouts.  The tryouts are open to any student enrolled in Atlantic High School, including upcoming freshmen.  Tryouts will be held on Sat., Apr. 12-8 a.m.  There will be two clinics to learn the material on April 8 and April 10 from 6-8 p.m. in the high school gymnasium.  You must attend at least one clinic to try out.

During the clinics, the hopeful cheerleaders will learn a cheer and a chant needed to try out.   Those trying out for football and basketball cheerleading are required to know both the cheer and chant, and wrestling cheerleaders will replace the chant with their own cheer.  Sophomore Emily McDermott says, “I’m looking forward to the season with new girls.  We’re going to try and make their motions sharp and make them as clean as possible.  It should be a fun year!”

During the tryout, underclassmen will be paired with older girls.  They will be asked to do their cheers, jumps, perform loyalty and show any tumbling skills that they have.  Freshman Bailey Steffens says, “I feel very confident about tryouts.  I am excited to be on the squad again.”  They are also required to know the words to our school song.  After all tryouts are done, head coach Taylor Hastings and assistant Julie Hansen will add up scores.  Hastings says, “The girls are notified by a letter that can be picked up at the Washington Elementary School office, or my classroom.  They will be given a date and time when the letters will be ready.”

Both veteran and rookie girls are looking forward to the new season.  Freshman Charisma Burg says, “I’m anxious for tryouts and I am hoping to make the varsity squad this year.”  Ask an upperclassmen, a coach or the office about tryouts if any questions come