Hy-Vee Coworkers Lose A Friend

Hy-Vee Coworkers Lose A Friend

By Tori Phippen

On Sat. Mar. 29, an 18-year-old male was killed in a single vehicle rollover accident near Griswold, Iowa. According to KSOM’s website, Cass County Sheriff’s Deputy Corey Larsen said Austin Oldenkamp was traveling northbound on 570th Street when he lost control and entered the west ditch and then rolled into a field. The car rolled twice before coming to a rest on its wheels. He died at the scene from injuries that he sustained from the accident.

A number of AHS students worked with Austin at Hy-Vee. Sophomore Christian Brumbaugh met Austin when he began working at Hy-Vee in September. Brumbaugh said the death of Austin has impacted his life this week. He said when he returned back to work at Hy-Vee after he found out about Austin, it has been very sad for him. Brumbaugh said special moments that he remembers spending with Austin at work were talking during an hour and half long break.

Junior Kade Nachtman met Austin through working at Hy-Vee. Nachtman said, with the death of Austin, he has not been able to sleep or hardly eat this week. Nachtman said when he had to return to work it was still very hard for him. Nachtman said that Austin was just fun to be around because he “always made you laugh about anything and everything”.

Senior Dalton Brockman also knew Austin through work and really liked him. Brockman said, “It has made work suck more than it already does.” Brockman stated that once he returned to work at Hy-Vee it was really boring. He also stated that there are many special moments that he remembers spending with Austin at work. Some of the special moments he remembers were messing around in the back and listening to music.

Junior Mitchell Taylor is another AHS student who works at Hy-Vee. Taylor said, Austin’s accident has made him a more conscious driver.   Taylor said, “When I return to work it is going to be hard.” Taylor’s memories were of spending time with Austin messing around at work.