Trojans Scrimmage!

By Madison Helvie

Atlantic Girls Soccer has officially started their season. With new coaches this year, the games are starting right away. This past Saturday, March 29, the girls had a scrimmage in Bondurant. A team breakfast started at 9:30 a.m., then the bus left at 10:30. This year’s team has 30 girls.

Head Girls Soccer Coach Jordan Newberg said, “I am looking forward to seeing where we are as a team before the regular season starts. I am expecting to see our team competing and showing what they can do to help out the team during the scrimmage.” he also said he expected the team to bond while they were in Des Moines. Newberg said he has enjoyed being the head coach. It allows him to pick more drills and to have more influence on the program. Newberg said, “I have also enjoyed working with Dan (Vargason) to make practices run smoothly. I am excited for this year; just to see how much we improve and how far our team can go this year.”

Assistant girls soccer coach Daniel Vargason said that he’s excited to see what offseason and hard work will translate on to the field. Vargason said, “I  would like to compete and I expect to give effort and challenge ourselves as a team this weekend.”

Vargason also said he has had a lot of fun being an assistant coach this year. He likes being involved in planning and leading practice drills,  he thinks it’s a lot better and he’s way more involved.

Senior Breanna Kixmiller said she is looking forward to the moments in practice and looking farther past the record. This is Kixmiller’s 3rd year of highschool soccer. She also thinks the girls will do well this year but it’s not necessarily about the record but more of how they improve as team.

Sophomore Haley Carlson expects that after the first day of practice they’ll be 10 times better than last season. Carlson said, “They’ll push us to our best.”

Sophomore Isabel Kesterson said “Because it’s so early in the season i think it will help the younger and newer players take other games more seriously because they’ll see the effort it takes in a game.”

JV finished 1-0 with a goal from junior Nicole Baier. Varsity fell short 0-5.