Football Jerseys Stir Up Controversy

Football Jerseys Stir Up Controversy

by Mollee Welter and Savannah Sorensen

Even though football is still six months away, the new schedule is posted and players are anxious to be back on the field.

Fans, too, are looking ahead to the football season and have voiced interest in wearing football players’ jerseys as a way to support the team. Many high school girls have an interest in wearing the jerseys on game day to show school spirit.

According to head coach Nick Ross, “It got stopped in Atlantic before I was back. The football coaches (at the time) stopped it due to inappropriate behavior and poorly representing the school.” Ross also said, “I’ve considered changing it for one game. However, I want the mothers to have an opportunity to wear them because they do so much for the boys. I want the chance to do it (allow the girls to wear the jerseys) as long as we are represented in an appropriate way.”

Junior Brody Peterson said, “I would like the girls to be able to wear our jerseys on game days. Shows it off and makes me look good.”

Junior Tyler Thomas said, “Every other school lets it happen. It shows school spirit and makes the team look good. We are the only school in the Hawkeye Ten that doesn’t allow it.”

With Ross’ point of letting the boys’ mothers wear them, players had a disagreement. Thomas said, “It’s a nice gesture, but I’d rather give it to my girlfriend.”

With the consideration of one game, junior Robby Bodine said, “It should be homecoming, because it’s homecoming.”

Students at AHS had a variety of responses. For instance, junior Brie Steffens said, “I think it would be fun to be able to wear their jerseys’ on game days. Every other school allows it.” While sophomore Colby Clarken said, “Probably let my mom wear it. She helps out and supports me (personally) more than the girls do.”

Sophomore Meghan Reilly said, “I think it would show more school spirit and get more students involved in games. It would get them more excited about the games.”

Another view on the dilemma from Harlan’s athletic director Mitch Osborn was, “It has been a long standing tradition at HCHS (Harlan Community High School).  Girls will ask a boy during the week or sometime if they can wear their game jersey on Fridays to school and to the game. The girls are in charge of getting the jerseys from the boys sometime during the week and back to them also.  We at the office or coaching staff have nothing to do with it.” Osborn also said, “It has been a great tradition here and is great for school spirit on Friday game days as it all red and white in the hallways.”

Ross went on to say that he will have a discussion with the players and get their opinions on the situation.

The Trojan football team is set to kick off the 2014 season in Clarinda against the Cardinals on Friday, August 29.