Situation in Ukraine

By Cooper Zablocki

As the shaky Ukrainian government was overthrown late February, it marked the beginning of a worldwide issue.  In November 2013, Viktor Yanukovych, the now ousted Ukraine President, made a decision to leave the European-Union.  A decision that sparked many citizens to take action and overthrow the President.  From November 21 and on protests have taken place throughout the country.  Come February, one of many protests broke out in Maiden Square, Keiv leaving 26 killed.  But the President fled to Russia, who Yanukovych has close ties with, since Russia was persuading him to become part of their country instead of the European union.  For more on the early stages on the story click here.

Since the president has been overthrown, things took a different turn of events.  Russia is now trying to control an area of the Ukraine, known as Crimea.  Technically, Crimea is 60% Russian.  But keep in mind that the Ukraine used to be part of Russia and the USSR, so it’s no surprise that many Russian speakers are still around in the Ukraine.  On February 28, men in Russian military uniforms took control of key airports in the Crimea region.  Vladimir Putin, the Russian President kept saying that the use of force was not needed in Crimea.  But when his armed men came into the region, he told  President Obama that the use of force is only needed because of Ukraine’s provocations.  US Secretary of State, John Kerry traveled to the Ukraine and sent $1 billion in aid, and assisted in providing experts.  For more on Russia’s involvement click here.  As of Thursday, the Russian government issued troops and armored vehicles to Ukraine’s eastern border.  They are also threatening an invasion.  Read more here.

The White House threatened economic sanctions on Russia.  An economic sanction is penalties implied on another country, usually restricting trade rights.  If the US were to imply sanctions on Russia, it would severely hurt their economy.  After the threat of sanctions, Putin made it clear that he had no intentions to fight the Ukraine, even though it didn’t seem like that before.

An anonymous source provided us with insight on what’s going on back in the Ukraine.  Many direct consequences have been taking tolls on the daily life of many Ukrainian residents.  Such as the prices of gas increasing, and the subway system being closed down for some time now.  But there’s also some less concrete consequences that have been hurting many emotionally.  It’s quite unsafe for the citizens to travel to other towns.  There have also been frequent shooting of traffic police throughout the country.  Our source said “It’s hard to see my country in a crisis.”

Explained in 60 seconds http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-25829995

Russia’s involvement http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26430846