FFA Competes in District Competition

By Steph Freund and Kylie Juelsgaard

On Sat., March 8, the Atlantic FFA chapter competed at the Southwest Iowa District Convention at Denison.  Eight FFA students participated in the various activities with teams throughout Iowa.

Each year, every FFA chapter in southwest Iowa is asked to send two delegates to vote on the upcoming officers for the District FFA chapter.  Atlantic’s delegates were sophomores Clayton Saeugling and Haley Carlson.  In previous years delegates would have to vote on constitutional changes, however this year there weren’t any to vote on.

Four freshman students also competed in the Greenhand Test.  This test is one that measures knowledge on FFA.  There were 52 students in all that competed. Nate Moen finished 25th, Morgan Barkley finished 27th, Haylee Vailika finished 28th, and Colby Sorensen finished 30th.

Juniors Adam Freund and Clinton Hansen competed in the Farm Business Management test.  A total of 16 kids competed.  Freund received third place and Hansen placed fourth.  Freund also competed in an Ag Broadcasting which consists of him participating in a simulated radio broadcast and received a bronze ranking.  Freund commented on his competitions, “It was kinda challenging but I guess I did alright.”  Hansen also competed in another competition of extemporaneous speaking where he was given an a topic on agriculture and had 30 minutes to write a speech on it.  He also received a bronze ranking.  He commented, “I feel like I hit the nail in the head.”

Also, in the midst of the competition at the district convention, awards were also given out.  Senior Wyatt Saeugling received the Academic Achievement Award.  Saeugling said, “I was very honored.”

The next competition will be in April at the State Conference where students will compete once again.  Advisor Eric Miller felt, “I was very happy with their performance and we look forward to doing better next year.”

To keep update with FFA Headlines visit: https://twitter.com/atlanticFFA.

Upcoming FFA Event:  Banquet on March 25th.

Screen Shot 2014-03-13 at 8.14.38 AM
Pictured (left to right) junior Clinton Hansen, freshman Haylee Vailika, freshman Colby Sorensen, freshman Morgan Barkley, freshman Nate Moen, sophomore Haley Carlson, junior Adam Freund, and sophomore Clayton Saeugling. Freund was just recently announced and chapter President, Saeugling as Treasurer and Carlson as reporter.