Golf Set to Start

Golf Set to Start

By Sam Renaud

As we roll into March, Spring sports are beginning to start and one of them is golf.  There will be a golf meeting Tues., March 4.  The meeting is for the coach, Ed Den Beste to get a feel of who is going out, so he can give his players a feel for his season expectations.  The first official golf practice will start the Mon., March 7 during Spring Break.

Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 8.00.51 AM
This is in front of the Clubhouse before the team had its playoffs for Varsity and JV spots.

With the first practice scheduled during Spring Break, players aren’t always going to be there due to trips and vacations they go on.  Since so many players go on trips, practice truly starts the Monday after Spring Break.  Players can begin practicing before practice starts and on their own time as long as weather is permitting.  March weather can be very unpredictable, sometimes there’ll be snow, sometimes it’s 75 degrees.  Golfers have to learn to play in the tough conditions, so practicing in the not so fair weather can be beneficial to a golfer’s performance in meets/tournaments.

Senior Evan Schuler said, “Although we lost a few varsity players from last year, I think we should have a good team to compete in the conference and hopefully advance and do better in state this year.  If we don’t make it to state as a team, hopefully we can send some individuals.”  Senior Nick Barry said, “All I want to do is wear visors and get buckets.”

It looks that players are eager for golf and the warm weather that comes with it.  Golfers are looking forward to competing, hopefully making it to state, and improving from last years finish at state.