Shrek the Musical Preparation

Shrek the Musical Preparation

By Turner Russell

Many AHS students have been hard at work practicing for this year’s upcoming musical, Shrek. The official performances of Shrek will be performed on March 7-9 leaving only nine practice times left for the cast members to learn their lines and prepare.

Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 10.08.14 AM
Junior Justin Somers and Senior Hannah Jespersen rehers lines during musical practice. Somers has taken the role of Lord Farquaad and Jespersen plays the role of Princess Fiona.

The cast for Shrek includes leading roles of Shrek, Fiona, Donkey, and Lord Farquaad, along with several supporting roles of fairytale creatures such as Pinocchio and Gingy. Other supporting roles in the show include guards and townspeople.

Freshman Austin Mualia plays one of Lord Farquaad’s guards in the musical. Mualia says he thinks that musical rehersals are going well and that he thinks the best part about musical rehearsals is “the music and people singing.” Junior Justin Somers, who plays Lord Farquaad, says that he also thinks musical rehersals are “going well” and says, “Now the main thing holding us back is memorizing lines.”

The schedule for both the musical practices as well as the final performances have been shared with members of the cast for quite some time, and shows the dates and times of each practice.

You can see the calender here: https://sites.google.com/a/atlanticiaschools.org/ahs-vocal-music/calendar.

Cast members have been expected to attend these rehearsals whenever possible, unless discussed prior to the practice with one of the directors or managers. Somers says that the supporting characters are sometimes needed in rehearsal with the leads but for practices where everyone is there it is necessary to have them all present. Mualia says that he also thinks it is important for the entire cast to attend practices “so they can know what’s happening and that way they won’t mess up.” Somers says the musical will be “awesome and everyone should come see it.”