New and Improved Journalism Banquet Arrives

by Karly Monson

As sports and activities seasons come and go, a banquet is held near the end of the season giving awards to students and letters to recipients in the activity.  This year, a new and improved journalism banquet will be held on Wednesday, February 19th from 5-6 pm in the media center.

The journalism banquet is for all journalism production students, editors, and their parents.  Also joining these students and parents will be Mrs. McKay, Mr. Alexander, Colleen Arneson, the AHS Booster Club, and the Atlantic News Telegraph.  It is a formal event, including a special performance from editors and seniors Sierra Smith and Hannah Jespersen.  There will even be 4 different varieties of cupcakes to satisfy taste buds catered by Wild Almond Cakes and Pastry.

At all banquets, letters are given out to recipients and also special awards that correlate with the event a student is in.  For the journalism banquet, the Quill and Scroll International Honorary Society for High School award will be given out to an editor that is top third in their class.  Other various awards will be given out to other editors and journalism production students.

The journalism department will also be receiving a very special reward from senior editor Monica Witzman’s family.  The Witzman’s received a community award from Monsanto of $2,500 to donate to an organization and they chose the AHS journalism department.  The journalism department is very thankful and excited to be chosen to receive this award.

Journalism production student and junior Kate Fulk has been busy designing invitations for the event, and has ordered over 100.  She is excited for the banquet and says the invitations will lure students, parents, and staff members to want to attend the banquet.  So journalism students, make sure you clear your schedules for February 19th so you can attend the new and improved journalism banquet!

BfKujX9CYAAuXbu

The journalism department received $2,500 from an award won by senior editor Monica Witzman’s family from Monsanto.  The journalism department is very grateful for this award, and is looking forward of all the new ways this money will help out the department.  Thank you Witzman family!