Choice Printing

AHS Fuel To The Rescue!

AHS Fuel To The Rescue!

by Karly Monson

At the beginning of the school year, the idea of AHS Fuel was announced by teachers and students involved in the group.  They explained what it is and how they plan to pump up AHS school spirit.  The rules initial rules for AHS Fuel were that a student would have to attend three school events in order to earn a free t-shirt.  This was during football season, and it seemed to work with students getting involved more at games.  But as the football season progressed students slowly stopped getting involved with the football games and creating school spirit, and AHS Fuel disappeared.

It has been noticed this year that our school has lacked school spirit, and AHS Fuel was created to help this issue.  But with it’s disappearance, school spirit continued to lack throughout the basketball season.  Cheerleader and freshman Bailey Steffens said, “It sucks while cheering because you try to get the crowd involved and they refuse.”  Many students have said the reason they do not always cheer with the cheerleaders and decide to sit down while the game is still going on is because they don’t see why you would cheer when the team is losing. AHS Fuel decided to take a stand and returned to help the sports events more amusing so people want to come and cheer along to show school spirit.

Events that AHS Fuel have organized in the past for football games included the first 50 people to arrive to the game received jumbo pixi sticks and whoever wore their AHS Fuel shirt also received a prize, but along with their return they have brought new ideas to make the student section become more involved.  At a girl’s basketball game, students were given the chance to answer questions about events that have occurred at AHS and if answered correctly, they were rewarded with a box of candy.  Another event was the chuck-a-duck contest, which involved students who cheered the loudest were rewarded with a duck.  Each time they cheered loud they continued to receive the ducks.  At halftime, students chucked their ducks and tried to make it into the hula hoops around the gym floor and if they succeeded or were in close range of the hoops, they received a box of candy.  This appeared to help with the noise level of the student section since the noisiest students were rewarded.

“It was pretty fun.  It’s a great way to get a lot of sportsmanship and school spirit out of people,” said senior Jordie Johnson.  Shooting free throws at half time for a candy prize has also helped get students involved throughout the games.  Senior Lexi Allen is a student who is in charge of the AHS Fuel basketball game activities and said she feels like AHS Fuel activities are helping the students to cheer and it’s a great way to get involved.

AHS Fuel is still continuing to grow and trying to get even more students involved throughout games.  As of now, the noise level is still not as high and energetic as it was last year, but with strong leadership throughout the section and the attitude to be loud and proud for your team, it can happen.

AHS Fuel continues to bring their ideas to games so that students in the student section have a good time.  Whether it’s receiving candy for shooting a free throw or chucking ducks into a hula hoop, AHS Fuel is at the game, constantly bringing new ideas.  If you have any ideas, tweet them to @AHSFuel!