Trojans Fall Short to the Titans

By Cooper Zablocki

Tuesday night, the Atlantic Trojans junior varsity boys basketball team fell short to Lewis Central in their second look at the Titans.  With a final score of 64 to 54 the Trojans fought the whole game, taking the lead at one point.  The boys now travel down to Red oak on Friday for their next game.

Atlantic won the opening tip-off and scored shortly after.  Lewis Central played a tough full-court press, that proved hard for the Trojans to break.  LC took an early lead from their press with plenty of easy lay-ups.  The Titans got in foul trouble halfway through the first quarter, forcing a few starters to take a seat.  Atlantic was able to capitalize on LC’s fast pace, out of control style.  Junior Tristan Benn for Atlantic made a handful of difficult jump shots.  Benn also had 4 steals in Atlantic’s 2-3 defensive set.  At the end of the first quarter Atlantic was only down by five, 22 to 17.

The Trojans battle hard in the second quarter, holding LC to only 10 points.  With Sophomore Kyle Nelson’s dazzling 3 pointer and Sophomore Brendan Holmes’s easy lay-up, the Trojans took the lead 23 to 22, a little over halfway through the second.  The Trojans were only trailing by two going into the locker room at halftime, 32 to 30.  Benn had 14 of the 30 points for the Trojans.

When the teams came out of halftime, Benn and Holmes took the bench in order to play in the varsity game.  The Trojans were missing their leading scorer but they still scored 16 points in the third. Defensively, they struggled the most in the third quarter, allowing 23 LC points.  They also had a hard time rebounding the ball on the defensive boards, giving the Titans too many second chance points.  LC had 55 points on the board after the third quarter and Atlantic 46.

In the fourth quarter it seemed like the Titans secured the game, but Atlantic wasn’t going down without a fight.  A big 3 pointer by junior Michael Thomsen, dropped LC’s lead to 4 points, just under three minutes to play.  Unfortunately for the Trojans, LC kept scoring, while the Trojans simply couldn’t find ways to get the ball in the hoop.  LC defeated Atlantic for the second time this year.

The points spread for the Trojans fell between eight different players.  Benn lead Atlantic with 16 points.  Next to him was Thomsen with 14.  Nelson ended the game with 2, 3 pointers and a total of 6 points.  Holmes finished with 6 as well, but went 0 for 4 from the 3 point line.

The junior varsity teams has 6 games left, and the next three are on the road.