AHS Girls Fall to the Titans

AHS Girls Fall to the Titans

Girls Fall to the Titans
Cooper Zablocki

On Friday, Jan. 17, the Atlantic Trojans were defeated by the Lewis Central Titans, in their pink out game. The final score was 50-41 Lewis Central. With the Trojans struggling tremendously in the 1st quarter, they made an awesome comeback out of halftime, but could never capture the lead.
Lewis Central come out on fire and took a very early lead. Atlantic’s Tiffany Williams scored the Trojans first points with just over two minutes left in the first quarter. Erin Olsen was the only other scorer for Atlantic in the first quarter. The second quarter seemed was a little better, but Atlantic couldn’t figure out how to stop LC’s offense. Olsen had a big block halfway through the 2nd quarter that give some life to the team and the student section. The Trojans were down by 20 points going into halftime.
Coming out of halftime the girls in pink stepped up their game holding LC to 4 points and scored 22 of their own. Almost triple the amount they scored in the 2nd quarter. It was clear the players were pumped up which gave the melancholy student student a burst of energy. The Trojans cut the lead to two points at the end of the 3rd by a buzzer beating three by Olsen.
In 4th quarter Atlantic was still playing hard but couldn’t capitalize on their possessions. They failed to take the lead but managed to make it a nail bitter for the spectators. Towards the end of the game Atlantic was forced to foul, and LC scored 6 points off the free throws putting the game just out of Atlantic’s reach. Olsen was Atlantic’s leading scorer with 4, 3 pointers and a total of 16 points. Williams finished the game with 13 points, and Catherine Leonard with 9.
Sophomore Meghan Reilly thought they started off slow and out of sync. “But coming out of the locker room, many of us realized how bad we wanted to win and we were able to come together and put a strong fight,” stated Reilly. The Trojans now have 7 games left, 4 of the home games.
During halftime the Atlantic cheerleaders fundraised money for cancer. Students could pay 50 cents to shoot from the free throw line, a dollar for a shoot at the 3 point line and two dollars for a half-court shot. Many students participated, any most of them took their chances at the half court shot.