WWIA Thanks the Seniors

WWIA Thanks the Seniors

By Dustin Rudolph

The WWIA organization, or Wounded Warriors in Action Foundation, has sent a thank you letter to the this year’s senior class. A donation of $4,000 was fundraised by the entire senior class during Homecoming week. Students bought “Charity Chains” that ran across the commons. WWIA received the money on Dec. 27.

The letter thanks the senior class for supporting “America’s combat wounded Purple Heart veterans.” It then said how impressed they were with our “Chain” project, commenting “What an incredibly creative idea!” It also mentioned that the senior class has “set a great example of patriotism and philanthropy to the underclassmen.”

WWIA is a non-profit organization that works toward helping wounded soldier that has received the Purple Heart award. As said on their website, the organization helps wounded soldiers by “providing world-class outdoor sporting activities as a means to recognize and honor their sacrifice, encourage independence and connections with communities, and promote healing and wellness through camaraderie and a shared passion for the outdoors.” Go to http://www.wwiaf.org/ if you want to learn more.

The letter mentioned Robert Shaffer, a Purple Heart recipient, who said, “The time spent in the stands reflecting on the beauty of life and nature could not be replaced. Without Wounded Warriors in Action, I would never have had the opportunity to hunt in this environment. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

Senior Josiah Williams was one of the students who donated money. Although he only donated a sum of $5, it certainly did help. Williams mentioned how the charity chains truly showed that the senior class has “several, very ambitious people.” Williams is proud of his class for doing such a noble deed. Junior Luke Frisbee said the senior class “changed me for the better.” He also thinks they “definitely” have inspired the underclassmen.