Trojans Fall in Triangular Dual

By Savannah Sorenson and Laeni Pelzer
On Monday Jan. 14, the wrestlers traveled to Glenwood for a triangular dual with Glenwood and St. Albert. The Trojans came out strong and defeated St. Albert 60-15, and fell to Glenwood 39-36.

Senior Darrian Schwenke, juniors Travis Peterson and Austin Williamson, and freshman Drake Roller all won by fall against St. Albert. Six Trojan wrestlers received forfeits with St. Albert being short on the varsity side.
Assistant coach Drew Duff says, “Overall, I thought we were ready to wrestle. Won six matches which was good, but still have room for improvement.”

Seniors Tyler Christensen, Schwenke, and Dillion Cox, alongside Petersen and sophomore Keagan Hosfelt all won by fall against Glenwood. Senior Jacob Johnson and junior Reid Nichols both won by decision, however, the Trojans gave up two open weight classes resulting in the Rams receiving 12 points along with a team win.

Cox says, “I think overall we need to start working on not getting pinned and fighting on our back, scoring when we get the opportunities.” Cox also stated , “I took the open shot and pinned him fast (54 seconds),” about his match against freshman AJ Slaughter from Glenwood.

Also, Nichols earned his 100th win of his high school career in the dual against St. Albert, receiving a forfeit. He went on to defeat junior Andrew Tilley of Glenwood by decision, 4-1.

Following the loss from Glenwood, Duff also comments, “Whenever you lose, you have to look at the guys who lost and why they did. You never want to lose.”

Christensen says, “ I feel like we competed hard but we need to focus on getting every point possible on the mat and finishing our shots. I had an off day to start but capitalized it with a pin against Glenwood (Drayton Slaughter).”