To: An American Soldier

Pat Wiederien's students sent cards to soldiers.
Cards for soldiers.

By Zoe Krueger

What would Christmas be like if a family member wasn’t there? What would Christmas be like if you weren’t with your family? What would it be like if you were stuck overseas at war, battling everyday for your life, while the rest of America is opening Christmas presents?

Art teacher Pat Wiederien will spend this Christmas without her son, Nate Allen, as he is in Afghanistan. Along with Nate, 60 fellow soldiers will not be home for the holidays. In honor of those men, Wiederien decided to ask some of her students write out Christmas cards. She will send the cards to Nate’s platoon so that the soldiers get an ounce of the appreciation they deserve–and a little holiday cheer.

According to Wiederien, her son’s group painted a fireplace on the wall and hung stockings to give them a holiday feeling.

Sophomore Cami Nelson said, “I felt kinda sad because most of those people won’t be able to come back and see their families. I put [in the card] that I hope they have a good Christmas and there are a lot of people that wish they could come back.”

Derek Stork, junior, also wrote a letter during Drawing 2. “I wrote, ‘Thanks for giving up your Christmas so we could have ours. You guys are the real heroes.'”

Wiederien says the soldiers love getting gifts and cards. “Any news from home they appreciate. They all love something from home,” she said. “There are guys who don’t get anything; that’s why I decided they should get their own Christmas card.” She went on to mention that when she sends her share packages to Nate, he will give out some of the things he has multiples of or doesn’t want to other members of his platoon.

Once a year, soldiers are shipped back to the US for a two week visit. Nate took his two weeks to be home for his sister’s wedding. The earliest he will be home again is May; the latest could be August.

Wiederien will be sending these cards to the soldiers today, Dec. 7.  AHS wishes the American soldiers happy and peaceful holidays.

View Comments (2)