Girls Basketball Hits Midseason

By Lauren Krogman

With the middle of their season nearing, the AHS girls basketball team is working to reach their goals from the beginning of the season. Coach Casey Pelzer says that the overall goal of the team was to improve throughout the year. “There are a lot of improvements to be made,” Pelzer said, “it’s baby steps.”

The Trojans now have a record of 2-11, with 13 of their 21 regular-season games under their belt. Pelzer said there are many changes that need to be made, but the main problem is turning the ball over. He also said that his team can’t rely on “jacking 3-point shots,” but instead needs to work on throwing the ball inside more. Sophomore Meghan Reilly said, “If we’re balanced, thoroughly run our offense and don’t panic, we’ll do pretty well.”

Sophomore Erin Olsen is the leading scorer for the varsity team, with freshman Katherine Leonard and sophomore Tiffany Williams following close behind. Olsen scores an average of 12 points per game, while Leonard and Williams contribute an average of ten. Olsen said, “Basketball is my favorite sport so it’s a big achievement to lead them in scoring.”

Freshman Katherine Leonard is one of the top scorers of the Trojan’s girls basketball.

Pelzer said that Leonard and Williams are surprising him this season. He knew that Leonard was a good ball player, but had no idea how aggressive she was. He also said Williams “has improved more than anybody throughout the year.”

The Trojans face the Lewis Central Titans this Friday at 7:30 p.m. in the AHS gym. The Titans current record is 8-4. Come cheer the Trojans on to a win!