Flying Sharks Swim Meet

Flying Sharks Swim Meet

By Cooper Zablocki

On Sat., Jan. 11 the Nishna Valley Family YMCA Flying Sharks hosted their second home swim meet of the season.  Atlantic, Red Oak, Riverfront, Council Bluffs, Omaha, Newton and South Prairie were all the competing teams in the meet.  Coached by Dean Junker the Flying Sharks had 50 1st place finishes out the 105 events.

With the first event starting at 10 a.m., swimmers were already in the pool warming up at 8 a.m.  With the parents and coaches cheering on their swimmers, the YMCA pool was quite a lively place for a Saturday morning.  The swimmers packed into the back gym during the meet, and many packed into the pool to watch the some 200 swimmers compete.

Some notable 1st place finishes include Lindsay Keltch with a time of 1:03.96 minutes in the 100 yard freestyle, which is a state qualifying time.  Alex Sampson finished the 50 yard Freestyle with a time of 32.77 seconds, also a state qualifying time.  Madelyn Kickland swam the 50 yard freestyle in a whopping 25.28 seconds, a state qualifying time for her.  Also, Jessica Hartwig with a time of 2:51.29 minutes in the 200 yard breast, another state qualifying time.  In fact, 16 Flying Sharks captured first place during the meet, 13 being state qualifying times.

Swimmers ranging from ages 5-18 started practice on Nov. 4 of last year.  Since then they have had six meets and now they have only one left, at Ankeny, before sectionals in Waukee.  Sectionals is on Feb. 9 and the State Swim meet is on March 1 and 2 in Marshalltown.  After the state meet they move on to the YMCA Regional Meet at Iowa City on March 8 and 9.

The team has practice from 5:15-6 for group one and group two practices from 6-7:30, every weeknight. Grant Van Lishout aides Junker coaching the team.  The Sharks will continue practicing and working towards their next meet.