What is K2?

By Autumn Stevens

What is it? A stress reliever, a fake, a murderer? AHS students and the surrounding areas have taken a survey in curiousity of K2 Spice, a recent drug that’s affecting many.

At the end of October, students of AHS and surrounding areas took a survey on K2 Spice which was given by Josh McLaren, a deputy sheriff and member of the Atlantic School Board. AHS students took their surveys during seminar. McLaren was gathering the information for a paper he was writing.

Some students who took the survey didn’t know what K2 Spice is. Freshman Marah Bengal said, “Isn’t it some sort of drug?”  Freshman Hannah Redler also asked, “Isn’t it something like marijuana?”  Freshman Deanna Roak commented, “It reminds me of a seasoning.”

K2 is a synthetic marijuana, made in a lab. McLaren said that the drug is a man-made marijuana is sprayed with different chemicals that are very dangerous.

Because K2 can be made with different chemicals, authorities have had difficulty outlawing the product. Once a “recipe” is categorized as illegal, the maker “tweaks” one ingredient which makes it no longer illegal. Since this drug is so recently noticed, it’s hard to keep track of everything that is put in it, said McLaren.

McLaren said that the drug is directed towards younger teens. They come in shiny, eye-catching packages. According to ABC news, David Rozga, an 18-year-old from Indianola, killed himself after one hit of K2 Spice. His father said, “(David) just continued to become agitated — indicating that he felt like he was in hell.”

Police, school boards, teachers, parents and even peers are starting to notice this drug, and are keeping people they care about out of it’s path.
Check out the site for more information on David Rozga:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/amazon-sells-legal-pot/story?id=13743738