Heavy Equipment Day

Heavy+Equipment+Day+

By Lauren Krogman

“The Atlantic Community School District will prepare all learners to be creative, innovative and productive citizens by providing diverse opportunities to learn and apply relevant skills and knowledge in a positive, disciplined and challenging environment.”

Our school’s mission statement describes the steps that are being taken in the AHS Industrial Tech Department.  On Dec. 17, students at Atlantic High School will be given a closer look at the field of career and technical education.

Organized by Industrial Technology teacher, Derek Bair, students will be able to operate heavy equipment in the school’s back parking lot.  While working with the equipment, the students will have to attempt several obstacles.  These include: picking up a basketball and placing it in a trash can, stacking pallets, and many other activities.

Students will be using an excavator, skid loader, telehandler, combine and a sprayer during their operating time.  Ziegler CAT of Atlantic will be providing the equipment used, along with three trainers:  Bill Newberry, Tim Green, and Brandon Humston, who is a Demonstration Instructor for Ziegler CAT in Altoona.

Bair says, “It is important that students have real world skills. Hundreds of thousands of individuals have very successful careers operating industrial, farm, and material handling vehicles. I look forward to hosting a heavy equipment day on a regular basis.”

AHS will continue to provide opportunities like these to help students gain skills and prepare for careers outside of high school.