8 period day: Good or Bad?

Teacher Roger Warne

by Malachi Wickman

The Atlantic High School administrators are proposing an eight period day next year.

The main reason for the switch is because of the recent increase in physical education requirements by the state of Iowa. The administrators are considering changes in the schedule to accommodate the new requirements.

If the proposed schedule goes through, the school day will begin at 8:00 in the morning and end at 3:19 in the afternoon.  Students will still have one-hour early-outs on Wednesdays and  26 minutes for lunch.  Students will only have four minutes between classes instead of five.  Classes throughout the day will be approximately six minutes shorter than they are currently.

When asked her opinion of the new schedule, freshman Lillie Zablocki said, “I don’t like it, because we will be at school longer.”  Freshman Maren McNees comments on the subject, “It’s not good, because it will cut the time of our core classes.”

The longer day isn’t the only change occurring with the new schedule.  Students may also have a half-hour seminar on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays.  AHS Principal Heather McKay says, “The seminar is like Primetime, but more structured.”  Seminars will most likely be organized by grade, which is different from our current Primetime.

Advantages to switching to an eight-period day include students being able to take more classes, and the school day may not seem to be longer because it will move a little faster.  Some downsides to the switch include students needing to reschedule transportation between schools, and students having to adjust to the new schedule.

McKay states, “If this is what’s best for our kids and gives them the best preparation, then that’s why we are here.”

READ RELATED ARTICLE HERE