AHS Students Earn Highest Scouting Rank

AHS Students Earn Highest Scouting Rank

By Leah Tjepkes and Cooper Zablocki

AHS students Casey Ihnen, Adam Weiser, and Logan Welter became Eagle Scouts this year.  An Eagle Scout is the highest rank of Boy Scouts. According to scouting.org only 7% of Boy Scouts achieve this honor.  Weiser said becoming an Eagle Scout stands you apart from the crowd.

In 2012, just under 58,000 young men achieved the Eagle Scout rank.  From 1912 to 2012 only 2 million received the rank.  Weiser said it was an emotional experience for him and his family but it “was a joyous moment” to advance to the highest rank.

So what does it take to achieve the rank of an Eagle Scout? Logan Welter, who just reached the Eagle Scout rank two weeks ago, described what it takes to become one. First, a Boy Scout has to fulfill all seven ranks and finish around twenty-one required merit badges. Some of the skills acquired to gain these merit badges are first aid and cooking. Scouts also learn how to shoot weapons such as bows, rifles and shotguns. Welter explained that a Scout then has to perform a service project for the community. For example, Welter filled flower containers for the Nursing and Rehab Center in Atlantic. Once all these steps are completed, the board of review meets to decide if the Scout has the right skills to be an Eagle Scout. If approved, he is an Eagle for the rest of his life.

The skills learned can benefit Scouts later in life. Casey Ihnen explained, “It gives me confidence to help others.”

Ihnen, Wieser and Welter have worked for most of their lives to get to this point of becoming an Eagle Scout.