Choice Printing

National FFA Convention (Post-View)

By Haley Carlson and Tucker Sager

1700.9 miles and 108 hours later the Atlantic FFA returned home from National Convention in Louisville, Kentucky. 7 FFA members and advisor Eric Miller left Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2013 at 6am. Their first pit-stop was at the World’s Largest Truck Stop off exit 284 in Walcott, Iowa. They then traveled across the Mississippi River into Illinois and stopped for lunch at McDonalds. After crossing through another state, and time zone, the Atlantic FFA stopped at the Indianapolis 500 speedway. There the members took a tour of one lap around the track. Back into the van the FFA headed for their final destination of Louisville, Kentucky. They arrived around 8pm Tuesday night.

Wednesday, the Atlantic FFA members were up and going at 7:30 am with a quick breakfast at iHOP. The first stop of the day was to Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby. After a brief tour and a look around the museum, they then decided to do a bit of cruising around a city park. It was then time for the Atlantic FFA to make an appearance at the 86th annual National FFA Convention and Expo! The FFA attended the first session in Freedom Hall, with keynote speaker Rick Pitino (Louisville Cardinal men’s head basketball coach).  With a quick trip back to the hotel and some pizza the FFA members headed to the KFC Yum! Center for a Dierks Bentley concert.

Thursday, FFA members headed to tour the Louisville Slugger bat museum. At the end of the tour each person received a small, souvenir bat.  Most of the day was spent at the convention center, shopping and walking around the career center. Later in the afternoon, Atlantic FFA attended the FFA talent show and then session three. Session three consisted of introducing all the sponsors of the FFA and announcing the total amount of 18.2 million dollars donated to the FFA association. Also keynote speaker, Katie Pratt, a former FFA member herself. After a long day in Kentucky the Atlantic FFA finally returned to the hotel after 10 o’clock.

Friday morning came, and the Atlantic FFA members were off to Fort Knox for a bit. They made a quick pit stop at a Jim Beam factory, but since this was a school trip the members weren’t allowed in the factory. They did walk around the grounds on a “self-guided” tour.  It was then a short van ride to Fort Knox, where the FFA drove by the army base and headed to visit the George S. Patton museum of leadership. Just as the FFA was about to leave, a public affairs man asked Miller if they would like to stay and listen to a 2 star general speak. This general, Jeff Smith, is the cadet commander of Fort Knox. After lunch at A&W, the Atlantic FFA headed back to the convention center for the National FFA band and choir concert. Shortly after began session 7, in this session national officer Lindsey Anderson (Western Region Vice President), gave her retiring address. Also, keynote speaker Josh Sundquist, a paralympic skier for the U.S. team. Sundquist lost his left leg at the age of 13 due to cancer. His speech could make a room go from an eruption of laughter to being able to hear a pin drop.

Saturday morning the FFA was up early, loading the van for the 12 hour trip home. When asked what their favorite part of the trip was senior Kristin Johnk and Wyatt Saeugling both agreed meeting new people, Saeugling added that he also enjoyed the sights and sound of convention and the highly used hashtag, #igniteFFA. Senior Steven Wright’s favorite part was listening to keynote speaker Josh Sundquist. Also all three seniors said that Sundquist was their favorite speaker, with his inspiring speech. Each senior had also answered to what their funniest memory was, Johnk responded with Mr. Miller crossing the median the first night after Buffalo Wild Wings. Saeugling said his funniest memory was off roading in the van, and Wright’s was wondering around the “ghetto” looking for a place to eat.

To find out more about what happened at National FFA Convention go to: https://www.ffa.org/events/conventionandexpo/Pages/default.aspx