No Shave November

by Karly Monson

As November rolls in, it is time for many students to partake in a favorite tradition:  No Shave November.  No Shave November is a time where throughout the month of November, a vow is taken to not shave any hair on your body.  Although it is more common for guys to participate, over the past few years girl’s participation has become more popular.

Throughout AHS, many beards and hairy legs are starting to appear.  Junior Mark Stinn is participating in No Shave November by having a contest with Mr. Vargason to see who can grow the best beard.  Sophomore Brendan Holmes is participating by not shaving his face, and so is junior Tyler Schwab by not shaving his peach fuzz.  Anatomy and biology teacher Mr. Woods is partaking by not shaving his goatee.  Not many girls are interested in participating, but there are a select few. These girls include junior Savannah Sorensen and sophomore Sidney Gifford.

Many participate to see how long they can last until they can no longer stand not shaving, but No Shave November is also a way to raise cancer awareness.  The goal is to embrace the grown out, wild hair, which many cancer patients lose, by not shaving or cutting hair and instead donating the money you would spend on personal grooming to the American Cancer Society.

Not everyone in Atlantic High School is participating in No Shave November, though.  Junior Brie Steffens will not be participating because she thinks it’s “disgusting.”  When asked if participating, American History teacher Mr. Petersen said, “Heck no. I can’t do that. It’s unprofessional.”  Junior Harison Richter wishes he was able to grow facial hair to participate in No Shave November.

Whether you are having a contest with friends to see who can grow the best beard, are not shaving for cancer awareness, or not participating at all, No Shave November is a tradition for many students at AHS to show character and have a little fun.  Seeing a clean shaved face will be almost rare throughout the halls of AHS until No Shave November ends.