Competition Cheer Team Places!

By Kate Fulk

On Saturday November 2 the Atlantic High Competition Cheer Squad competed at the statewide competition in Des Moines.  Junior Karly Monson said, “It’s was an extremely stressful day, but was so much fun.”

The cheerleaders represented AHS with an almost perfect routine.  With a few errors they placed 10th in the 3A division. They have been working on their piece that they presented since the beginning August.

The squad went through a series of stations before stepping onto the seven blue panels of mats at the Jacobson Exhibition Center at the Iowa State Fairgrounds.  Starting with a stretching station, then onto a safety check which led to a 10 point deduction.

After that they were able to warm up stunts and mentally prepare for the ultimate performance.  Junior Courtney Jensen said, “it was really frustrating that my stunt group dropped but we can’t dwell on it.  The next performance will be better I think, we will be more prepared and already have one competition under our belt.”

According to Iowa Cheer Coaches Association the routine must be no longer than 2 1/2 minutes long.  Lots of effort goes into competing and Iowa seems to make the process a little more difficult.  Iowa has many rules for competing. For example wispy hairs are illegal, although some schools don’t follow that its only a deduction to them.  Atlantic’s squad Coach Taylor Hastings made a point to follow each and every rule to avoid the simple loss of points.

The cheerleaders will compete one more time before concluding their season on Nov. 17 in Council Bluffs at the Mid America Center. Hoping to improve Senior Lexi Allen thinks we have a better shot at this one being more prepared.

A long day for everyone who competed but was totally worth all the hard work and effort.  Allen says, “it’s one of the best experiences of my high school career.  I love being with some of best friends and doing what I love at the same time. It’s a feeling that can’t be beat performing on the blue mats”

To see the performance click on the link.      https://docs.google.com/a/student.atlanticiaschools.org/file/d/0B1gKbkJcAFwJVmNndm1QbnBnVzA/edit?usp=drive_web