Conflict at Carver

By Matt Smith

Senior Dillon Cox and Junior Matt Smith competed in the Conflict at Carver Wrestling Tournament on Oct. 13, 2013 in Iowa City. Cox’s mom drove the wrestlers to the University of Iowa to make 7 a.m. weigh-in.

Cox wrestled at 126 pounds, in an 18 man bracket. In his first round match against a wrestler from Wisconsin, Cox lost 17-9. Cox then wrestled another kid, this time from Illinois. Cox lost his last match 10-4. Cox wrestled in the tournament to be seen by possible recruiters. As the wrestling season approaches, Cox plans on focusing more individually this year, than in the past, in the hopes of earning a state title.  He is ranked 6th in the state according to predicament.com.  When asked which teams he was most nervous to wrestle, Cox said, “Creston and Clarinda,” as they were (including Atlantic) the top three in the conference last year.

Smith, in a 20 man bracket, wrestled at 145 pounds. Smith’s first match was against a kid from Illinois.  The match was close up until the third period.  Smith was down 1-3, then quickly dropped to 1-6. In the final 10 seconds of the match, Smith was put on his back, then pinned with 3 seconds remaining. In Smith’s second match, he was paired up against another wrestler from Illinois. Smith got a takedown early on in the match and started working a pinner. Smith was finally got one locked up and put the wrestler to his back. With 30 seconds left in the first period, Smith pinned his kid to stay alive and wrestle at least one more match.

In Smith’s next match against a kid from Minnesota, he again came out strong and got a big lead. Going into the 3 period, Smith had built himself a 12-2 lead. Smith thought he had the match wrapped up. With a minute left in the match, Smith tried to stall out. But, before he knew it, Smith was on his back trying not to get pinned and hold on into the next around. Smith couldn’t just pull through and was pinned with 30 seconds left in the match.

Smith and Cox did not make it to the placing arounds. Cox said, “It was amazing time getting to wrestle where the Iowa Hawkeyes do and it was a cool experience.”